How to remove front rotars 2005 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove front rotars 2005 2WD

I tried hitting the search engine first before posting this question, but i am going to be replacing all of my rotors and brake pads here in the near future and wanted to see if there is any step by step guidance on how to remove the front rotors? i know its all one assembly...so im guessing that all i need to do is remove the cottar pin and that weird looking nut and remove the caliper and everything should slide right off? any information is greatly appreciated...or if anybody has any pics to illustrate what needs to get done would be awesome.

any help is greatly appreciated

Jesse

Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Nox
I tried hitting the search engine first before posting this question, but i am going to be replacing all of my rotors and brake pads here in the near future and wanted to see if there is any step by step guidance on how to remove the front rotors? i know its all one assembly...so im guessing that all i need to do is remove the cottar pin and that weird looking nut and remove the caliper and everything should slide right off? any information is greatly appreciated...or if anybody has any pics to illustrate what needs to get done would be awesome.

any help is greatly appreciated

Jesse
Yes, the only problem is making sure you have the right socket to remove the nut. It's a deep 36mm. Big sucker. After you get the nut off, the rotor about falls off.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
thats awesome! I swear this truck has been dead easy to work on, did my rear brakes and it was a breeze, i just need to do another round and so far i have been really enjoying this truck, was about to trade it in, but it will be paid off in about a year, so im just going to keep it and build it up once its paid off...make it more performanced based, rather than offroad of course considering its 2WD lol Thanks for the info.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Global Moderator &

When I bought mine is March of 05, the plan was to get a new one about the same time in 09. When I saw the 09s I said, don't think so. I love my 2005 and it has been a great truck. Have 91,500 miles on it and plan on seeing how far she goes. Good luck with yours.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
thats great news! god to know i will have it for another 3 years or so after its paid off lol

i forgot to ask earlier, but is there a place online to download the torque ratings for each bolt? like how much should the wheel lug nuts be torqued down, or caliper bolts and so on...i didnt torque my rears, but with the front brakes i want to make sure they are pretty much dead on...and i will probably re-do my rears just in case...and i am also worried about stripping any bolts as well.

also would be cool if i could download something like a chilton manual online (PDF version or something along those lines) if there is anything like that available online....

Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Global Moderator &

I did an Advanced Search on "torque specs lug nuts" and got all this.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=3086703
Depending on wheels, I think it is 125 to 150 ft lbs. I think I recall the caliper bolts ar 22.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Yes, the only problem is making sure you have the right socket to remove the nut. It's a deep 36mm. Big sucker. After you get the nut off, the rotor about falls off.
do you know how much to torque the front axel nut?

I have to remove the rotor since it has bad bearings, but I want to re-install it correctly on my 05 XLT 2wd.

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I think it is 250 for the front axle nut. Its more than my 3/4" torque wrench would go so I just used my gorilla hands and cranked it down. I am sure someone will chime in soon and verify the spec for it.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 PM
so, should anyone think I should replace the axel spindel nut once i replace the rotor? im going to try to trade my truck in this weekend, but I had the rotors replaced and one has a bad bearings after only one month, and Im getting a replacement but i wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that 1: they did not re-torque to specs and 2: they re-used the same nut.

sorry about hijack this tread.

Quick Reply: How to remove front rotars 2005 2WD