emergency brake sticking on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emergency brake sticking on drivers side

I just finished a rear brake job on my truck where I replaced the rear rotors, pads, and parking brake shoes. Ever since I bought my truck my ebrake never seemed to fully release on my drivers side wheel. So when I had everything apart I sprayed all the moving parts liberally with PB blaster and let it sit overnight before putting it back together. Even after doing all that the emergency brake on the drivers side still sticks about half way after releasing it. I was thinking it had to be due to the shoes because all that was left of them was the rusted metal backing with no pad left whatsoever. Apparently this isn't the case. Anybody else have this problem and were able to fix it without replacing the e-brake cable? Thanks in advance for any input!

-Brett

Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I am replaceing all four discs on my 01 SCREW this weekend along with the e brake shoes. Any tips or tricks? Did you measure the outer diameter of the shoes before putting on the disks? My understanding is they need to be adjusted out to just a skoosh less then the inner diamter of the new disk hat inner diameter.

We'll see

Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
First and foremost get a big hammer and be prepared to use it a lot. The ebrake shoes were pretty straight forward to install, and I hate installing shoes. Just two springs, one at the top and one at the bottom along with the adjuster at the bottom, and the two retaining clips(one for each shoe). I was not able to turn my adjuster so I ended up reinstalling them in the same adjustment setting that I took them off with. My ebrake shoes were worn down to the metal with no padding left, and surprisingly enough the new rotors slid on without any trouble. I went ahead and coated the area around the wheel studs with some anti-seize in case I ever I have to remove the rotors again. The only issue I had with the rear calipers were the bushings sticking out too far and getting caught on the caliper bracket. Other than that, the hardest part was bar none getting the rotors off. The passenger side took about 10-15 min. of hitting before it broke free, but the drivers side took a good 90 min. of pounding before it let loose. That time probably would have been cut down if I had a bigger hammer.

Post back on here how the fronts went because I plan on doing those soon too. I hear they are just as bad, if not worse, than the rear for taking off the rotors.

I dunno if this will help any, but I plan on using this trick to get my fronts off. If you try it let me know if it worked for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJ...eature=related

Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Use the trick that you have posted on that link. I just did my front rotors and had them done in no time. That does work, I spent $3.00 on nuts & bolts and was well worth it.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Bump, still need input on emergency brake. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I had the same problem. I have a 05 4x4 crew. Took it in 3 weeks ago to the dealership and they did a complete brake job and repairing e-brake cable. Then last night my e-brake froze again on me as i was leaving. Left it over night, brakes unfroze, took it to the dealership today and they said nothing was wrong with it. So who knows.

Quick Reply: emergency brake sticking on drivers side