Tire balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire balancing question

Anybody have any experience with having their wheels/tires balanced with a hunter GSP9700?

Im looking to get mine re-balanced and have called two shops which I got from the hunter site.
One shop didnt even know they used that machine, but did confirm when talking to a employee that they did. So im left with thoughts as to whether or not I want that shop to perform something that they dont even know they have or is questionable on how to use it correctly.

The other shop seemed more knowledgeable but, not sure they will break down the tire/wheel and find the high/low spots and match them up.

I also wonder what is the correct wheel weights placement when this machine is used. Ideally I would want as less weights as possible with the weights being hidden as much as possible since they are aftermarket wheels.
Must you use a both a stick on weight and a clip on in order for the wheel to be perfectly balanced

Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a good question as I have just ordered new rims and want as little weights as possible also...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I work at Goodyear Auto Service Center in Ann Arbor, MI.

As far as the amount of weights you'll have on the wheel, it all depends on how the balancer is set up.

The balancer I use everyday has multiple settings for multiple rim types. I can use clip-on weights on the inside and outside, a clip-on weight on the inside and tape weight to the outside, tape weights inside and to the outside, and I can also set it up to use a single tape weight in the middle of the inside of the rim.

The last one I listed, I only use that setting on wheels that I can't get anything else to work for me, if it wants LOTS of weight on it, as it generally uses less weight than other settings, or if the customer only wants a single weight.

I have done all sorts of wheels, from basic steel wheels, aluminium OEM wheels on cars and trucks, including LOTS of F150's, aftermarket custom wheels on all sorts of vehicles, on up to ultr-lightweight racing wheels for a few customers who bring their racing tires to me to mount and balance.(my co-workers want nothing to do with racing tires and wheels, I think they're scared.)

I think it's more in the machine operator than the machine. One of my co-workers is CONSTANTLY having balance comebacks that I'm having to correct. I also get a lot of complaints about the local dealers not being able to balance tires properly for customers, and I get to fix those as well.

Not trying to brag, but I think I'm pretty damn good with the machine I use.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by jdc48160
I work at Goodyear Auto Service Center in Ann Arbor, MI.
Do you force match the wheel and tire?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
Do you force match the wheel and tire?
We don't have a roadforce balancer. We use a Coats 950. http://www.ammcoats.com/products_wheel.aspx?id=174

Personally, I've never had any issues with gettng a wheel balanced up.

Quick Reply: Tire balancing question