Front end shudder while braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end shudder while braking

Hello all,

I guess I'll start from the beginning.The front end of my truck starting shaking during braking and it pretty much felt like a warped rotor. So I bought two new rotor/hub assemblies,new inner and outer bearings. Turned out the drivers side caliper was bad so that was replaced also. Replaced the passenger side caliper also after all was installed because it was still shaking while braking. So here I stand,new rotor/hub assemblies,inner/outer bearings,calipers and pads and the front end still shakes while braking. The spindles are in good shape and there is no play.I also had new tires and a wheel alignment last fall. Anyone have any IDEA's? I'm fresh out.

Thanks in advance.
BTW,it's a 2WD.

-Kevin

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Start looking for worn bushings and ball joints in the front suspension arms, the wheels need to be off the ground when you grab them to check for play. The slightest freeplay on any arm typically indicates it's bushings/joints are worn. The only rod/arm that should turn in your hand are the tie rods for the steering, but if you can get a little freeply at the wheel, they're worn out at the ball joint. All this can be done by hand or with a well placed prybar.

In addition to warped rotors, worn out stuff mentioned above will mimic the brakes, but you don't feel it through the pedal as much as the wheel

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks James,I checked out all that stuff also.Everything is nice and tight.I don't get it.A buddy mentioned bad/broken shocks also but they are fine. I can feel it in the brake pedal and the front still shakes. I wish I could tell which side it was coming from.Still feels like a warped rotor.It's not as pronounced as it was before I replaced everything but it is still definately there. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM
ola
maybe your rims are messed up. did you run into any curbs?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the replies fella's. Here's where I stand now. I swapped the front and rear tires on both side,inspected the rear caliper's,pad's rotor's and re lubed the slides (slides were dry).Everything checked out ok. Still have the same problem.I even pulled the ABS fuse to exclude the ABS as a mpossible culprit. Truck (still feel's like front)still shakes when braking.The harder I hit the brake,the harder it shakes. I am stumped.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I found the culprit! It was the rear drivers side causing the shake. It look's like the e-brake was slightly engaged (rusted in position) and either warped the rotor or was just sticking.One side of the e-brake pad was completely worn off.So to cap it off,front rotor/hub assemblies,bearings,front shocks,idler arm,rear rotors and pad's and no more shake. I had to douse the e-brake assembly (both sides) in lubricant and jiggle it back and forth to loosen it up also.All that time and money for one brake,lol. At least I don't have to worry about any of it for quite awhile. Just thought I'd update.
And thank you everyone for all the replies.

Quick Reply: Front end shudder while braking