Rotors and Brakes Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors and Brakes Replacement

I am looking to replacing my brake rotors and pads soon. I was told to stay away from the drilled and slotted since my truck isn't used for racing or heavy towing. I do however tow a 21 ft. boat occasionally. What would be a good rotor, and what would be a good ceramic brake pad to buy?

Thanks for the input!

Derik

Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by derik taylor
I am looking to replacing my brake rotors and pads soon. I was told to stay away from the drilled and slotted since my truck isn't used for racing or heavy towing. I do however tow a 21 ft. boat occasionally. What would be a good rotor, and what would be a good ceramic brake pad to buy?

Thanks for the input!

Derik
Hi Derik -

Slotted rotors keep dust and heat away from the system that could cause gas hydroplaning under heavy braking. So, they are beneficial. You don't have to have a sports car to benefit from slotted rotors. Drilled rotors could crack between the holes if not careful. PowerSlot Rotors and Hawk LTS pads seem to be the favorite.

Call me, let me see what we have that best suite your needs.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the PS Cryos up front and the regular PS rotors in the rear with all Hawk LTS pads all around. It has been a great setup! Much improved from the OEM setup..

As far as towing your boat I don't know how heavy it is, but if it is over 2,000 lbs you may want to look into a brake controller and trailer brakes. That will help you stop much safer than upgrading your truck's brakes.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
This is something that I need to do this summer...is tirerack the best place to get the rotors/pads from?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM

I've got Powerslot Cryo rotors all the way around with Carquest Blue Pads. Great combo!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac01
I have the PS Cryos up front and the regular PS rotors in the rear with all Hawk LTS pads all around. It has been a great setup! Much improved from the OEM setup..
As far as towing your boat I don't know how heavy it is, but if it is over 2,000 lbs you may want to look into a brake controller and trailer brakes. That will help you stop much safer than upgrading your truck's brakes.
I have that setup and it's AWESOME.
The stopping power and pedal feel is great, and there is NO DUST... ZERO

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I just ordered a set of the regular PowerSlot rotors for the fronts and rears, along with the Hawk LTS pads from AutoAnything.com. They sent me an e-mail with a code for 12% anything, today only.

Rotors ended up costing $101 each and the pads ran $63/pair, tax and free shipping included. All in all, not too bad.

Now I just need to find time to install them once they get here.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 05-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
This is something that I need to do this summer...is tirerack the best place to get the rotors/pads from?
You need to check around. I get a lot of my items from three sites. www.AJUSA.com www.AutoAnything.com and www.tirerack.com

Check around or watch for a special to get the best price.

You won't be dissapointed once you finish this setup...

Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Stupid question but can slotted rotors be turned if they become warped?

Are the stock rotors junk? I'm already getting slight steering wheel wobble under highway speed braking. under 30K miles.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
The cryo rotors are the cheapest at tirerack, but they charge ~$14 for shipping, which brings their price up to autoanything and ajusa's prices.

Damon, what does adding your name to online orders do?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Suspended
I'd also like to know what I get, if anything, by using Damon's name..

Also, do these rotors need to be turned prior to install??

Thanks,
Craig

Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mxracer49

Are the stock rotors junk? I'm already getting slight steering wheel wobble under highway speed braking. under 30K miles.
Yes, slotted can be turned.

Stock rotors are fine. You should consider having them turned, and keeping them. If the pads look bad, just get a good set and put them on at the same time.

Most guys around here like to get carried away (which is fine) and spend more than is needed.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I tow a 31 ft travel trailer and recently switched to the Wagner TQ ceramics. Very good pads and almost no brake dust. They work great for me!

Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Did my brakes last weekend.... Stoptech drilled / slotted and EBC Greenstuff pads (low dust)... also put in some SS brake lines. Awesome feel. Drilled was mostly for looks, slotted is definitely beneficial especially for towing. (And yes, "cheap" drilled rotors will crack... not all rotors are drilled equally.)

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49

ford will true the rotors under warranty my f250 had that problem they would'nt replace em but the resurfaced em covered by warranty

Quick Reply: Rotors and Brakes Replacement