Brake Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Fluid Leak

My '99 is suffering from a brake fluid leak. It is clearly coming from the rear, from a block that is mounted on the left side of the axle. It looks like the block is a distribution box for the main line running to the back that sends hydraulic fluid out to the rear brakes.

I have not pinpointed the exact location, as I have not been able to get a helper to pump the brakes while I watch the location. That said, what are some possible causes and solutions? Can this block be replaced if necessary?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
sounds like its probably your load sensing proportioning valve... I think your model year used them.

Can you use a board to hold the brake pedal down and see where the fluid drips?

If its a fitting, you might be able to tighten it... or you might need to replace the line.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I changed the fittings and brake line, solving the leak issue.

New problem, even after bleeding the lines (all four wheel cylinders and calipers), my brakes still have excessive travel. Rears out of adjustment, maybe? My auto adjusters don't like to work properly. Usually I have to tighten the slack adjusters manually every 2-5,000 miles.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by defconfive
I changed the fittings and brake line, solving the leak issue.

New problem, even after bleeding the lines (all four wheel cylinders and calipers), my brakes still have excessive travel. Rears out of adjustment, maybe? My auto adjusters don't like to work properly. Usually I have to tighten the slack adjusters manually every 2-5,000 miles.
And by excessive travel I mean it goes to the floor after using the brakes a couple times.

SUGGESTIONS?? I've got a trip to Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure with the fiance this weekend!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you refilled the master cylinder with brake fluid during and after the bleeding process? If you did, it sounds like you have a bad master cylinder.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
are you confident in your ability to bleed the brakes?
You never let the reservoir get too low, did you? (you can suck air into the MC).
You didn't slam the brake pedal all the way down, did you? (you can bounce the pistons and suck air back into the calipers)

If the answer is yes, you feel like you did it correctly - then I agree with masseyman. You probably have a bad master cylinder. Perhaps it was borderline before and the action of bleeding caused a seal to fail.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak