Question about wider tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about wider tires?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm curious. There are quite a few trucks I've seen with about the same size tire as me but they stick out beyond the fender flares a little. My tires are 35x12.5 on stock 18s. Are these people using wheel spacers? aftermarket rims? or something else? I would ideally like my tires to stick out maybe an inch or so out the fenders. ANy help is appreciated.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikestyger1
This may be a dumb question, but I'm curious. There are quite a few trucks I've seen with about the same size tire as me but they stick out beyond the fender flares a little. My tires are 35x12.5 on stock 18s. Are these people using wheel spacers? aftermarket rims? or something else? I would ideally like my tires to stick out maybe an inch or so out the fenders. ANy help is appreciated.
Most likely a wider, aftermarket wheel. Keep in mind that when a tire sticks outside the fender, everytiime you go through water or mud, it's throwen on the side of your truck.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
aftermarket wheels with different backspacing and offsets

Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Most likely a wider, aftermarket wheel. Keep in mind that when a tire sticks outside the fender, everytiime you go through water or mud, it's throwen on the side of your truck.
x2. And it'll all wash off anyhow.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 AM
So I need to get after market wheels for that look? I guess I'll have to find out what kind of backspacing and offset I could set up with only my 2.5in leveling kit. I already rub at full wheel lock and don't want to have to make too many other mods to have the tires stick out an inch or 2. I do plan on getting the bushwacker pocket style flares so that should help with the mud and dirt....plus I'm not really worried too much about that. Thanks

Last edited by Mikestyger1; 03-15-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but you are kinda stuck with what you have unless you want to install a lift kit also. Your sig says you have 35x12.50 tires with only a leveling kit. The only way to fit that size with just a leveling kit is to use the OEM wheels or one almost identical. A 8 inch wide wheel with 5.5 inches of bs would work, but it would only stick out 1/2 inch farther than the oem wheels.
If you install a lift kit you would be fine. A 9 inch wide wheel with 5 inches of bs is pretty common and would stick out 2 inches farther than your oem wheels.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Also, with the flares, it'll make your tires look more tucked in. So although you will be pushing your tires out potentially with new wheels if you mod to be able to fit them, they'll look tucked back in with the flares. Does that make any sense?

Quick Reply: Question about wider tires?