New Truck owner/Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck owner/Tire Question

Hey all,

I just bought an 08 F150 4X2 regular cab. I had a question about some tires to compliment my Factory 17" wheels.

This truck is going to be a long process and I want to get some bigger tires to give my truck a more aggressive appearance but I don't want to invest in wheels yet. Any suggestions for some nice wide, tall tires. I know that my 17s limit me to some degree, so I guess I'm trying to find out how large I can go without buying wheels.

Also, what is a leveling kit? Do I need one before I can get larger wheels and tires?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
A 265/70/17 is a nice size and you can probably go to a 285/70/17 without a leveling kit. A leveling kit raises the fron about 2 inches. Personally, I like lowering the rear 2" to level it.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks,

OK, next question.
How much for leveling and how far does that expand my tire options? It sounds like I might be better served to just level and step up to 18s a little later to get to a tire size I like. The problem is I really don't know exactly what I want. More research is in order me thinks.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get one delivered to your house for as little as $69. If you install it yourself, you'll just have to pay for an alignment after the install. The 285/70/17 will be a perfect fit with a level kit. I think that size tire would be too much without it. You can look at my pics to get an idea of how it will look. I have a 2wd with 2" level kit with basically the same size tire but on 18" wheels.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Dihlon,

The pics were really helpful. I like the way that looks. I think I'm going to go with a lift and the 285's.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
OK everybody, the more I read the more I'm concerned. I can manage the 2" level but I read things about it ruining parts in the long run. Then there is a 3 inch lift to consider. I'm gonna have this truck for a long time and don't want to abuse it. Also, am I done once I get the level or do I have to purchase additional parts to make it work properly? (shocks)
I understand I'll have to spend money to make my truck what I want it to be but I don't want to constantly be getting this part and that to keep the mods from ruining the truck.

Then there is the other concern, the warranty. I'm afraid I'm going to void my warranty if I do anything to it. I know, I'm being a big girl but it's a lot to take in for a novice.

I appreciate any suggestions and input.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My warranty was out when I installed mine so I didn't really care. But from what i've read on here, if you have the dealership install the level kit, it won't void anything. Most people will say don't go more than 2.5" on a level kit due to the angles it puts all your front end components in. Yeah, it will cause your balljoints to go out quicker than normal. Then again, there are people on here who have had their 3" kits on for awhile and haven't had any problems. On your truck, if you go more than 2", you are going to have the raise the rear of the truck up as well because the front will sit higher.

Quick Reply: New Truck owner/Tire Question