Help Diagnosing a Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Diagnosing a Squeal

I have a 2002 4x4 SCrew with 86K on it. I recently replaced all four rotors and installed new pads. Everything was fine until, about 4 months after the rotors/pads were installed, I noticed a loud squeal from the rear (right/passenger side) that is intermittent and keyed to the wheel's rotational speed.

Here's the odd thing. The right rear wheel squeals the most when the vehicle is turning left at any speed (parking lots, highway turnoffs, etc). It doesn't squeal at all when turning right. It only squeals slightly/intermittently when driving straight. Finally, application of the brakes makes the squeal go away.

Does this sound like a caliper problem? Perhaps the caliper cylinder isn't retracting into the bore? I would have though it was a U-joint or wheel bearing issue, but the squealing stops when brakes are applied.

Anyone know what might be the culprit?

Mike

Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it could be a brake hardware issue. I would pull the wheel off and make sure the brake hardware is installed correctly. I had a similar issue on a friend’s car. Removed all the hardware and reinstalled with caliper grease and no problems since.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Had the same problem on a PT Cruiser. It turned out to be a bad brake pad shim. Check the shims that are on your rig and see if they are bent or rusted. If they are new, try putting some "siliglide" on them and this should fix your problem.

-crazyboy

Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm going to agree with brake hardware. On yours, the front get those steel pieces that form to the caliper bracket. They have little tabs that gently have to be folded so they don't slide themselves. Either that and/or not enough lube on the pads etc. I forgot once to put anti-sieze on the clamp part of the rear brakes, won't forget that again. It's gotta be something small, go over it and re-check. Don't rule out e-brake either.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing a Squeal