Strange Noise pls help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise pls help

Not sure if this is brake related or not...dealer has truck right now and is supposed to report back shortly.

When I apply the brake, I get a wierd cyclic squeaking sound, almost like a sqeaky spring articulating, but this happens on a smooth surface when the wheel isn't traveling up/down...it won't do it if I rock the truck side to side. And there is plenty of meat on the pads, so it's not a grinding. There are no line kinks or loose hardware that I could tell. It also doesn't make the sound under hard breaking. about a month ago they fixed the break booster vaccum line (recall). I don't know if it could have anything to do with that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
sounds like your rotors are out of round and thats why you get a cyclical squeak.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
The guy at the dealer said he thought it was the rotors too. Once I had a chance to see it with the wheel off I saw he was right. This truck started out in Michigan and the road salt had done a number. They were probably dangerous as a matter of fact. Only one way to find out so I politely declined the $400 quote to swap rotors out and went to Advance, then commenced to freeze my butt off in the driveway. $117 took care of it and the noise is gone.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise pls help