Aftermarket wheels that can handle the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket wheels that can handle the winter?

Are there any? I hear about Moto's and others pitting, and I wonder if there really is a decent aftermarket wheel that can handle all year abuse as well as the stock wheels can. I don't even have to take care of the stockers, other than the usual wash the truck gets.
My stock XLT Alloys still look great after 3 1/2 winters. I have a feeling if I get aftermarket wheels, they won't look as good as the stockers after 3 winters. I don't want to have to change out wheels and tires every winter. That's too much of a PIA, plus then I have to have two sets of wheels and rubber. That's not going to happen.

Perhaps I'll just put new rubber on the stock rims and not worry about it.

Anyone?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I've wondered about this as well. What is on the stock rims?? Perhaps a clear powdercoat?? Perhaps you could get the rims you want and have them clear powdercoated. Would help protect the rim but at an additional cost.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
ive had my wheels on for about 3 years now all year long

Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
my eagle alloys were in the ice/snow/salt for a week and the lug nuts have started to rust. Really annoying... if you see a lot of snow stay away from that brand...

Old 01-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by grantoser
my eagle alloys were in the ice/snow/salt for a week and the lug nuts have started to rust. Really annoying... if you see a lot of snow stay away from that brand...
I wouldn't blame the wheel manufacturer for lug nuts rusting. Chances are, Eagle didn't make the lugs, but I could be wrong. The lugs that came with my Eagle Alloys were Gorilla brand. I live here in PA, king of road salt and have ran Eagle Alloys on two different trucks and had no issues with the wheels. With any polished wheel, you have to keep up with them if you're running them in the winter. Keep the road grime off of them for long periods of time, and give them an occasional polish and they'll hold up. For me this meant a wipe down of the wheels about once a week and a polish once a month. Both my sets held up great. My bother on the other had had a set of Weld's on his Ram and never cleaned them and they looked like garbage after a year. Great wheel, poor maintence = scrap.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
ooo yep.. didnt even think about it. i doubt they do make the bolts... it just pissed me off to see rust on them after a week of snow. thats really all it was, ONE week.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by grantoser
ooo yep.. didnt even think about it. i doubt they do make the bolts... it just pissed me off to see rust on them after a week of snow. thats really all it was, ONE week.
If you want a quality lug nut, get USA made McGards. They are backed by a written lifetime guarantee.

http://www.mcgard.com/Home/Automotiv...gNutComparison

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
the pro comp knight chrome rims come with a 3 year warrenty on the finish. like the stock rims just some soap and water and they look new no polishing needed.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been asking around the Pro Comp cast black wheels and seems that people are having pretty good luck with them in the winter. I'm trying to sell my Helo wheels and Toyo tires and plan on buying the 7005's and see what happens.

How ever if the Knight chrome has a 3 year warranty I might try those as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Just stay with a wheel fully painted. Stay away from polished, chrome, or wheels with machined surfaces. The more coated the wheels are, the better. Powdercoat is toughest. If it's PCoat, it isn't going to rust or corrode.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 AM
the knight chrome is a powdercoat finish. as for the finish warrenty i was wrong i just looked it up and it is 5 years not 3.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 AM
i was running a set of pro comp 9005 wheels, and they flaked on me last winter... not pitting, just flaking. so, this fall i sent them back to 4wheelparts, and the changed them out for me with no questions asked. I was told that if they dont look like they did the day i bought them for 3 years, then they will change them out for free..... granted it cost me to get the tires dismounted, but it was worth it.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Anyone know how MB Gunner rims hold up? I was looking at the I believe they're painted ones in a light gray? Next set of tires might get new rims because mine have oxidized pretty bad. Retards who hammer the bejesus out of your rims trying to put wheel weights on do this.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels that can handle the winter?