TPMS Sensor and New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 AM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Sensor and New Rims

So I think I've found rims for my new 08 2wd 5.4l but it talks about the TPMS sensor and if I have a new one installed by tire rack I have to follow the instruction manual to have the truck find the new sensors. Thing is the 08 OEM rims/tires are going on my 05 2wd XLT which does not have a TPMS sensor. I'm assuming this would be ok on the 05 since there's no sensor who the hell cares but what is the process on the 08 with the sensor. I'm deployed so I have no manual in front of me. Thanks for any info and here is a pic, still haven't picked out tires yet. I think a truck rim should be beefy so it was these or MB V-Drives. My pops is a huge performance guy but mostly Corvettes and he likes the V-Drives so does the wife. I'm partial to either so feel free to chime in.

ATX CLASH

MB V-DRIVE

Last edited by MDK; 12-16-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a set of bands for the new wheels and put the sensors on them, since the 05 doesn't have a TPMS set up. That way you don't have any expense on new sensors or reprogramming for the new ones. Yes you will have to mount them, but that will be cheaper than new sensors and programming.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 AM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Just get a set of bands for the new wheels and put the sensors on them, since the 05 doesn't have a TPMS set up. That way you don't have any expense on new sensors or reprogramming for the new ones. Yes you will have to mount them, but that will be cheaper than new sensors and programming.
Forgive my ignornace but what are bands? I don't know jack about these sensors or how to bypass them which I guess it what you're telling me to do.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sensors are mounted in a bracket that is held onto the wheel with stainless steel bands that wrap around the center of the wheel. They are not reusable. The brackets and the sensor are. That is why I stated to just take them off the old wheel and mount them on the new with new bands. If you do a search, you will be able to find links here that sells them relatively cheaply.
You can do that or just live with the light.

ps - You will have to break down the 2 sets to add the remove and add the sensors, but that will still be a lot cheaper than buying new sensors and having the TPMS setup reprogrammed.

Last edited by kingfish51; 12-16-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
TPMS Strap Kit

TPMS strap part is made from 304 stainless steel. The strap exceeds all OEM torque specifications. Fits on wheels up to 26" in diameter. Straps are easy to use. Just fit around drop center of the wheel, cut off excess material, slide on OE bracket or use our TPMS bracket, and just tighten with a screwdriver. We have hundreds in stock and ready to ship. Each kit contains 4 straps part# 22102, 4 Brackets part# 22103, and 4 keepers part#22102

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor and New Rims