06 STX - ABS firing at slow speed, light sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 STX - ABS firing at slow speed, light sometimes

Alright I've put the truck in the shop once for this about two months ago. $400 was the charge to replace the right front wheel speed sensor and turn rotors with new pads on the front. Truck had 46k miles

Same problem again now at 50k miles, the ABS fires (shuddering pedal feel) when slowing down at slow speeds like driving through a neighborhood or turning into a driveway. The ABS light sometimes comes on but stays off most of the time. Problem is very intermittent. Sometimes go for days with no problems.

Where can I get my ABS codes read to see what the problem is without having to throw down Benjamins? And what does it take to replace a wheel speed sensor? Will a brake upgrade (new better quality rotors, calipers and pads) solve the problem?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2001 f150 4x4. But the ABS light did not come on.
My problem was the front hubs/bearings were loosened up causing the rotors to "walk away" from the ABS sensors, the ABS computer "sees" this as a wheel lock up and kicks in the ABS pump.
When the hubs get really loose the rotors cut into the sensors and could cause the ABS light to turn on.

It isn't cheap, two new hubs & ABS sensors.

My mechanic buddy tells me the Ford ABS is very sensative to bearing wear/ mechanical slop in the hubs. He has replaces a lot of them!

I traded my 2001 for a 08 in June.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
wheel speed sensors

Had this problem on a crown vic. I disconnected the wheel speed sensors for both front wheels and just drove around with the brake light on.

It got rid of the suddering- but you wont have ABS.

Or you could try taking out the ABS fuse, but be carefull- on the crown vic, the ABS fuse tied into the charging system, so without the ABS fuse, the alternator did not juice the battery. I learned this the hard way.

Not sure if its the same on the F150's.

Quick Reply: 06 STX - ABS firing at slow speed, light sometimes