97 f150 ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f150 ABS problem

OK here's what's going on.

I've had the slow speed ABS thing for several months.

I had an experienced ford tech check the ABS system for me before doing front pads, and rotors.

We drove around for a while and could see the front right drop off differently than the others when the ABS triggered. He said that it was almost definitely the front left tone ring, and not a sensor because they were all working, just the front left speed dropped off weird.

Now we just did the pads, and rotors. I took it around for a while doing the break in procedure. No problems at all for about fifteen minutes. No abs triggering.

Then my ABS light came on. It has never come on before. I pulled over, turned the truck off, and restarted it, the ABS light was then off. I pulled away, started to brake from about 20, and the ABS went off the whole way down to a stop. Shut it down, restarted, ABS light was off, and did it all over again.

Now I'm lost. The Ford tech is a friend of a friend, and lives about 40 minutes away. Not someone I want to keep running back to for free diagnostics.

I've read some posts with some ideas, but the OP's never reply to say "oh yeah, that worked", or "tried that, didn't work". I can't just replace everything until it works right.

HELP!

Thanks In Advance

Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What code is coming up? Try switching the front sensors to see if the problem switches sides. If the problem moves with the sensor, get a new one.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 PM
When he had it hooked up it wasn't throwing any codes. At that point the ABS light had not come on yet. The ABS just kicked in under 5 MPH.

Now it has the ABS light on, but I haven't had it checked. I don't know when I'll be able to.

Thanks for the reply

Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 AM
97 abs systems use a lamp flash for codes,look under glove box for a tan and black connector,ground the black conn end and count lamp flashes,will be easier to pinpoint problem.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Does anyone have a guide to the flashes? I haven't had time to dig in yet, but can't find anything about the flashing lights and what they mean.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Anyone?

What I'm looking for is "3 flashes = x is malfunctioning" "2 long 1 short flash = y is happening"

Quick Reply: 97 f150 ABS problem