Wheel color and trim rings

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel color and trim rings

I just bought this 1981 F-150 for 2,500 bucks and the truck only has 35,000 miles on it. I see why because the 351 windsor carbureted engine only gets about 8.5 mpg. Anyway, the truck came with pure red steel wheels, and I thought they looked like something from south of the border, so I bought some "beauty" or commonly called trim rings. I put them on the truck and took this shot. Should I keep the red rims, or go with black or white?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd say keep the beauty rings and paint them black. It's hard to go wrong with a classic white or primer gray wagon wheel too. My first truck was an ol' brown 83' XLT 2 wheel peel with a windsor, good trucks! Just keep an extra brain box behind the seat, just in case.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfton
I'd say keep the beauty rings and paint them black. It's hard to go wrong with a classic white or primer gray wagon wheel too. My first truck was an ol' brown 83' XLT 2 wheel peel with a windsor, good trucks! Just keep an extra brain box behind the seat, just in case.
Haha thats so true, i used to keep one in the drivers side fender pocket area and one in the back under the jumpseats...
Man i loved my old 84, it was a special build, with the 3/4 ton chassis and a 351 cleavland. Color matched tube bumpers all around and I bought a nice set of AR aluminum classic ten hole wheels...
those were the days, dual tanks at +-20 gal. a peice and you could filler up (both) under 70 bucks. I have a great pic somewhere that i have been looking for forever.

Anyway, i say take the wheels and clean them off paint them white, and run red just on the outer ring, then throw the chrome beauty rings back on.
Lemme see if the old PC will fire up so i can photoshop it real quick

Old 10-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I'll still stick with my opinion from the last thread. https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...olor-rims.html

Go white on the rims, keep the trim rings, get a set of chrome center caps.

Those are definitely factory 8-spokes...you can still get the chrome center caps from the dealer, they were used all the way up through 1996.
Here's a lot of 3 for sale on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...=p4506.c0.m245
The 92-96 ones had a black/gold center disc and the earlier ones had red/silver like your black center cap. And if your truck is 4x4, the front caps are open-center to let the hubs stick through.

And I still like that truck...damn it's good looking for being almost 30years old!

Last edited by Bindernut; 10-11-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel color and trim rings