BFG AT Tread Wear!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG AT Tread Wear!

Ok, well i've only had my BFG AT's for about 500 miles now, and my two front tires are already showing wear. I lost all the little spikes, and the defined edge of the sidewall is now smoothed out, probably lost about 1/8" maybe a bit more on the very edge. The back tires are still perfect though.

Before this happened i ended up going back to the tire shop that installed them to balance the front two again. Before i brought it in i had checked the psi that day and they were all at 45psi. Well it's been a month since then, and i started to notice the wear on my front tires. I was thinking to myself wtf!! These tires are supposed to have great tread life and not show any wear for quite a while, especially not after 500 miles. And i had an alignment done so i dont think that is the problem. Well... then i figured i'd check the psi, and to my astonishment the two front tires were at 35. I didnt think to check the tires after bringing them to the shop, because i assumed they knew what the were doing and would fill them back up to 45psi (which is what they filled them up to the first time i went there). I'm not really sure what would posses them to only fill my 305/65/18 LR E tires to 35psi. Unless they never even rebalanced the tires and just let air out to smooth out the ride and shut me up (never know now a days). Or i suppose i could of just lost all that air in a month, but 10psi seems like quite a bit to lose in only a month, dont you think? Anyways, it's not a huge deal all though it does **** me off to see tread wear after only 500 miles.

So do you think the tire shop just got lazy and did not want to rebalance my tires, so they just let a bunch of air out to smooth out the ride? Or maybe they are just incompetent? Or... is it possible i could of just gradually lost a whole 10psi in a month?

I'm sure it's not the tires fault, as i think 35psi is low enough to cause some wear quickly. I'll be monitoring these bad boys once a week now, to see if they are infact gradually losing that much psi on there own (but i doubt it). If they don't, then i suppose i know the tire shop is incompetent or lazy. All though i should of checked them myself right after i left, and definetly will from now on, lesson learned perhaps. At least i noticed and caught it before they got worse which is a plus. And on the bright side i'd love some KM2's so i guess i'm closer to getting those (not really that close) haha.

Oh and by the way, besides this slight issue i absolutely love these tires. They handle great, look awesome, and the compliments continually flow in..

Sorry for this long post, it's late, i've been drinking, my gf's passed out (light weight haha), and i have nothing better to do...

Old 10-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
That's too low to run in those tires. I would put 45psi in them and see how they ride and check the wear. My 315's are load range D 50psi max and I run them at 45psi and they are wearing fine. Look's like I'll get tired of looking at my tires on my truck before I can wear them out!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
That's too low to run in those tires. I would put 45psi in them and see how they ride and check the wear. My 315's are load range D 50psi max and I run them at 45psi and they are wearing fine. Look's like I'll get tired of looking at my tires on my truck before I can wear them out!
I had 45 in them to begin with before i even brought my truck back to the shop, i'm well aware that 35 is too low. So either the tire shop is incompetent or lazy, or i am gradually leaking air. Anyways, i'll just be watching closely and monitoring the psi more often now so i can find out whats going on. If come to find out the tires are fine and holding air, well then that's the last time i use that specific tire shop. It's not a huge deal, at least i caught it before it got worse and it's not like i dont have plenty of tread left. I'm sure these things will outlast my desire to have them as well.
Still love these bad boys though!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is they were too dumb to look at the difference between what was mounted on the truck and how it was OE equipped. Then just used what was on the door sticker.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
My guess is they were too dumb to look at the difference between what was mounted on the truck and how it was OE equipped. Then just used what was on the door sticker.
Your probably right.
It's hard to find good reliable shops now a days that actually know or care what they are doing (at least around here). And this is the same shop that put 17oz of weights on my passenger side rear wheel but neglected to tell me. You think they would of said hey, somethings wrong with your wheel. I found this out from another shop, because after 2 visits at the previous one i still have shaking between 50-60mph. But i'm getting a replacement wheel so hopefully that one will balance out much better.

It's just a lesson learned for me, never trust anyone with my truck, and always check it out myself after i bring it in a shop.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had mine for close to about 15,000 miles now. No wear except the middle of the two fronts the siping is kinda melting together, but thats no big deal. . . I will have these tires on EVERY truck I will ever own. . .

Old 10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Yep, don't trust the shops. I'm sure your tires are fine but stay up on those air pressures

Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

dude get an alignment ASAP.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by msall150
dude get an alignment asap.
x2

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Tire pressure is relative to footprint. I'm too tired to explain the math now, but 35psi sounds about right for the increase in size. I just put on my 35x12.50-20 Toyo's Friday....set them all to 30psi. Tomorrow, I'm actually gonna check the pattern to see if it's optimum. I may go up to 35.

I don't know why your tires seem to be wearing so quickly. But I seriously doubt "only" having 35psi had anything to do with it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
dude get an alignment ASAP.
Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
x2
Yeah i will, the shop probably didn't even do the alignment right either. I'm going to try and find a new shop, and once i get my replacement wheel i'll have all the tires balanced again and another alignment done.

Well actually, i'm going to my Ford dealer in the morning to redeem a free oil change that they gave me when i bought the truck. Maybe i outta just have them do an alignment when it's in there as well, one less thing to worry about i suppose.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Does your truck have alignment cams? If not, the only thing they can adjust is toe-in. Caster and camber could be out of spec. Cams are about $200.

Also, there are 2 reasons why they could have let air out of your tire......other than trying to rip you off on the balancing. One, the first thing an alignment tech is supposed to do when he gets the vehicle on the rack is to check the air pressure. He could have thought the tires were overinflated and aired them down to 35......not realizing it says 45 on the door sticker. Also, some tires with rim guards have to be aired way down in order to get the alignment thing to clamp on the rim. And when he aired them back up.....only put 35 psi in them.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DanF150
Yeah i will, the shop probably didn't even do the alignment right either. I'm going to try and find a new shop, and once i get my replacement wheel i'll have all the tires balanced again and another alignment done.

Well actually, i'm going to my Ford dealer in the morning to redeem a free oil change that they gave me when i bought the truck. Maybe i outta just have them do an alignment when it's in there as well, one less thing to worry about i suppose.
Good idea. When I get my tires i'm getting them shipped then having the dealer install, and balance them.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Not sure what dealer you bought your truck from, but if it's Autofair. Don't let them touch it.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
I just bout 285/70/17's for mine. I told them to put in 40psi. I had to take it back 3 times for an alignment, which the 3rd time he tried 3 times to get it right. Took the truck on a trip put 1K on the tires, they still look new. Although it didn't feel quite right. before I left I went to put the tires to 50psi, and found the guy deflated my tires too 32 RF, 35 RR, 37 all left side. I went back complaining and they gave me my money back. I had a frame shop check it and the guy told me it was perfect and wouldn't change a thing. So, that cost me $25. See if they'll replace them? All they can say is no. Maybe try and get your alignment money back and take it somewhere else.

Quick Reply: BFG AT Tread Wear!