Changing 04 brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing 04 brake pads

Im getting ready to change my brake pads on a 04 supercrew and I was wondering what steps I need to take and which pads do most people perfer

Old 08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Hawk
Im getting ready to change my brake pads on a 04 supercrew and I was wondering what steps I need to take and which pads do most people perfer
Check out the rotors to see if they need to be machined. If it is a 4X4, they can be removed for this but if a 4X2, they have to be done on the truck as the bearing is an integral part of the rotor. If they are really bad, I would replace the rotors. Having said that, I have very seldom found the need to turn the rotors. I just replce pads. For pads, my favorite is Wagner ThermoQuiet although I think the CarQuest Blue is very good as well. I prefer a top of the line semi-metallic pad.

If you will use the Advanced Search feature, you will find lots of discussion on procedure and brands.

One other thing, if you have to remove the rotors on a 4X2, it takes a humongus deep socket. I forget the sixe, but maybe a 36 or 37mm.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the caliper bolts are a 13mm, but I could be wrong. Make sure you have at least a 4" c-clamp. I had to get creative with the 3" I had. I went with the car quest blue ceramics on my fronts like two weeks ago. I'm not sure if I would ever buy ceramic again. I'd stick with a good quality semi-metallic like bluejay said.

Get behind your wheel the night before and soak the 2 bolts on the bracket that the caliper bolts to (the OTHER two BIG bolts). That way, in case you have to remove the rotor*, you're not fighting those bolts. Mine were seized on there fairly well.

*edit*
Rotor...not caliper. Not sure what I was thinking.

Last edited by screw_firstdate; 08-10-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing 04 brake pads