problem with rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with rotors

ok i drive a 98 f150 with the 4.6 liter v8. i love my truck and it has ran very well since it was brand new and still runs like new (150000 Miles!!!). anyway, every single year i have to replace both front rotors because they are so warped they are even beyond turning. replacing rotors every year becomes really expensive. i don't even drive much. probably 80 miles a week. i had a friend say that it might be the proportioning valve? i know that this controls the amount of pressure distributed between the front and rear brakes. i am just lookin for a second opinion. anyone else have this problem? is there any way i can test to see whats wrong with it? please help me out!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Welcome for one, and secondly, how's the rest of the stuff working, looking? Stuff like pads front and back, calipers, one side to the other wearing faster? I assume it vibrates the pedal while braking? Sounds like everything is normal except once a year the rotors get replaced which is NFG. What type of rotor?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
the front pads, when the rotors are badly warped are also in very bad shape. my dad and i just changed the rear drums and shoes for the first time about a year and a half ago. everything looks to be in good shape. what does NFG mean?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 PM
My 99 f150 lariat has the same issue.Replaced rotors twice in last 2 years.Breaks work great after the rear drums are adjusted but does not last.Had rear brake pads,drums and adjusters replaced this year worked good for 1 month and the rears go out of adjustment putting the braking on fronts only.I use emergency brake often and try backing up and braking to set up rears with no change.So I take it in they adjust rears and I am set for a month, maybe I should try a new garage for a solution.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Will warped rotors cause a ABS light to come on?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Weird. I used to have this problem on my 97 F150 in the way that I'd have to replace the rotor more often than usual.

Then it stopped.

I just replaced them last week though and noticed the inside is all the hell scarred up.

I chose not to replace them though but on the next pad replacement I will. They're not warped now but just really scarred up.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigtater2389
the front pads, when the rotors are badly warped are also in very bad shape. my dad and i just changed the rear drums and shoes for the first time about a year and a half ago. everything looks to be in good shape. what does NFG mean?
Im guessing NFG - No *******ing Good

If you constantly have a rotor problem it seems like the wheels aren’t properly being torqued down properly (No. 1 reason for warped rotors). What pattern do you use and how much torque do you use on each wheel?

A couple other possible cause would be super heating and super cooling the rotors which i doubt would happen every year, rust forming on the rotor from not being used then driving on it will contribute to a warped rotor, and driving like your in nascar.

I doubt its you proportioning valve because that controls the proportion of front/rear brakes. You would have other issues if this was the case.
I recommend replacing rotors and pads and properly torquing the wheels down.

Will warped rotors cause a ABS light to come on?
NO

Quick Reply: problem with rotors