front pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
front pads and rotors

My 2001 4x4 5.4 supercrew needs new front brake pads so on the way home today I stopped at carquest.

They wanted $79 for a set of blues.

A little too expensive for me so I went to checkers and got a set of these from raybestos.

Raybestos Professional Grade Brake Pads

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=219&PTSet=A

I am not sure if I need rotors yet but this is the higher end rotor that my local checkers has in stock.

Raybestos PG Plus Brake Rotor

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=221&PTSet=A

What do you guys think? Has anyone used these pads or rotors before?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carquest "blue" series are made by Raybestos anyways so you're good to go. That seems kinda high though especially if in the USA, I think my semi-metallics were that in Canada so maybe they quoted you for "blue" ceramics, my next pad to try out. Your choices are fine, feedback when you can.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Just an fyi - my experience with the CarQuest blue semi-metallic was bad. In fact, I think they created more (and darker) brake dust than the OEM pads.

Just last weekend, I took them off (with less than 4k miles on them) and put ceramic pads on from Advanced Auto Parts.

When people hear I'm on my 3d set of pads on an '07 with 14k miles, they first look at me with concern, until I tell them I'm trying to find a solution to the brake dust problem.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I asked specifically for the semi metallic. They offered ceramics for $50 and they had a cheaper semi metallic for $35 but they don't carry it in stock.

It seems like everyone is using ceramics.

I will let everyone know how it goes but it looks like it might take a little longer than planned to get to it.

My main concern with brakes is noise, stopping performance and having nice straight rotors.

A lot of guys are concerned about brake dust but it doesn't concern me. I drive this truck on dirt roads every single day up in the foothills (8,000-10,000') of the rocky mountains. It is always dirty and even more so in the winter with all the mud and snow.

I take it down to the DIY spray n wash every now and then to spray the under carriage etc.....

I am really impressed with the lack of rust. I am sure the dry climate helps a bunch.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have the Raybestos rotors with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. The rotors seem fine. I have 60,000 on the pads and 30,000 on the rotors.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I would like to replace my front brake pads, 2001 F150 Screw 4X4. I went to Lordco (Canada) and purchased their Raybestos professional brand pads, A-652-KIT-NZ HWK 142. I have changed the brakes before but they don't look like the ones I had purchased before, double checked with the clerk and they were positive they were the right ones for this make and model. I live too far away from town to start messing around to find out they might be wrong.Anyone out there familiar with this product and could advise if they are the right one? As always thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: front pads and rotors