Cooper Discoverer S/T or STT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper Discoverer S/T or STT?

Hi All,

I'm going to be getting new tires for my truck in the next couple of weeks and I have to put in the order with the shop tomorrow and I'm having problems deciding between the S/T or the STT. My truck is pretty much relegated to driving to work and in the back country four wheeling on the weekend, so I want a decently agressive tire, but something that gets decent milege as it will see some pavement. Anybody have any opinion on these tires? Also if I decide to go with the STT does anyone have idea of how badly this affects gas milege?

Thanks everyone

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I had the Cooper STT's on my F-350 a few years back. They were great tires for the winter weather here in New England and they looked pretty good on the truck. That's the upside.

The downside is this. The tires were very loud on dry pavement due to the aggressive tread pattern. They made a big difference in the ride of the truck on dry pavement as well, again, due to the tread pattern. But, what I considered to be the worst attribute was, they did not last very long. I only got about 25,000 miles out of them before they needed to be replaced. The Cooper rep did come through for me there though, and gave me a partial credit towards the purchase of the next set of tires. I went with the Cooper Discoverers. A much better tire for the kind of driving I was doing.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 AM
I lost about 1-2 mpg when I put on LT295/70-17 STT, and about 1/2 the power I gained from my Corsa exhaust. I can't speak for tread wear yet, because I've only had them on for about 2500 miles, but I can tell you that so far, the STT's are NOT loud. I'm very happy with them.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I had the MasterCraft c/t which is made by cooper and is the same as the s/t tire. Had them on a 2003 fx4 for one hunting season and some snow before the truck was totalled but they did great. Averaged 20 mpg on the highway with them and the 5.4L 3.55ls rear end.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I could be wrong, but from what i know the only thing that will effect your gas milage will be the size and/or weight of the tire. The difference in tread won't make you lose any mpg.

I dont really have any experience with either but around here I see a lot more people running the Cooper discoverer STT's. I've heard some people complain about tread life, but that can be the case with any aggressive MT. For Mark05KR, keep in mind he had a much heavier truck pushing those tires around, so they could last much longer than that on an F150, or they may not. IMHO, i don't think there will be a huge difference in tread life between the two tires, since they're both mud terrains, and both made by cooper. Just keep them rotated every 3,000 miles and make sure they're correctly alligned and balanced and you should be fine.

And well, if it matters, the Discoverer STT looks completely badass!

Good luck!

Cody

Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
im on my second set of Cooper Discoverer STTs on my F150...got something in the neighborhood of 45,000 miles out of the first set...and i quit rotating after the first 20,000 miles, so when i got them replaced the fronts were BALD but the backs still had a little tread left... great tire for the money and they get much better traction than the STT. If you were putting them on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck i would definitely say go ST because they handle the heavier truck weight and pavement wear better, but on our 1/2 ton trucks the STT do fine. I also ran the same tire on my previous Toyota tacoma 4x4 in 31x10.5x15 and they were at 52,000 miles when the truck was totalled. I have yet to find a mud tire I like as much as the cooper STT...they arent that loud when compared to other aggresive mud tires either, only when compared to all terrains and street tires.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. I took the plunge and ordered the STT I saw them on an F250 when I was walking out from work last night and they looked great in person too. I also looked at the pics of your truck 051fdrof, (Looks great btw) and they just have the look I want for the truck. I might as well get them now then be unhappy with the look of another tire and replace them later.

I'm also having the rotors and pads replaced at the same time, so I can't wait

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I didn't see yours till now south_ms_sprcru. Nice truck!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
be sure to post pictures after you get 'em on!

Cody

Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I have the ST'S on my 02screw and at first they were a little loud for me but that was b/c i was used to running highway all-seasons now they are quieter but they humm on the highway which i dont really mind at all only have 3k on them{bought off my uncle w/ set of eagle 102s a month ago} and no wear yet!!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
appreciate it! you wont regret getting them i guarantee it...

Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Got the new Tires, rotors and brakes this week

Here are the pics. Let me know what you think:

Full Truck:

Tires:

Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Front Rotor:

Rear Rotor:

Last edited by CyberBurn; 07-11-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
That just made my decision on my next set of tires. Deff the STT's plus I get them at cost from my friends garage back home. Gotta start saving and get um right before winter. My BFGs i bought for 300 for a set were used and if I make it til Dec. Im thinking Christmas gift.

Truck looks awesome!!

Quick Reply: Cooper Discoverer S/T or STT?