brake caliper failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake caliper failed

Driving home from work the other day and the truck starts vibrating bad. Stopped and checked for a flat and I had smoke pouring from the front wheel on the passenger side. I let it cool down for a while an checked it out the best I could. Nothing seemed to be on fire. I tried to drive the truck and all of a sudden it felt like the brakes had been released. I drove it home w/ no more problems. Drove the truck about 500 miles and then the problem returned. I pulled it down and found the brake caliper piston was busted. What would cause this to happen. I have replaced the caliper. When I went to replace the caliper and pulled the line off no fluid come out of it until you mash the pedal is this normal. Also what else should I look for from being damaged by all the heat. Thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHeck the rubber flex line going to the caliper. This could have clogged/failed causing the problem or could be a victim of the heat generated by the caliper. Also ensure that your pads are not cooked. Might also want to check the condition of your fluid.

Tennfan

Quick Reply: brake caliper failed