Load Range C or E

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load Range C or E

I am about to purchase a new set of tires for my Stock F-150 Supercab FX4. It has stock 275/65R 18 tires on stock rims. I am guessing these are only Load range C. My question is do you guys think running a load range E is a bad idea. I mainly drive on the street and currently don't tow any heavy trailers. The salesman was saying it's a horrible idea to run a load range E if you don't need it. Does anyone have an opinion on ride quaility difference or tire wear? I am either going to get Toyo A/T's or Michelin AT2's and both make a load range C or E. The salesman also said some rims won't accept a load range E tire which I find really hard to believe?

My logic is why not get a tire that can handle more weight if I need it if it doesn't affect ride quaility or tire wear dramatically. Also my truck is equipped with a fifth wheel setup though it was this way when I purchased it so in theory I could pull a heavier load if I needed.

I know most individuals on here are running oversized tires/wheels but any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 AM
your current tire is either a Passenger(standard load) or a C rated. i recomend staying with C rated. and E rated tire is heavier and harder to balance and also requires more air pressure to operate safely(rough ride) unless you dont have a choice which with some tires(brand,size) only come E or D rated. stick with a C rated tire. also anyone who says they need E rated to tow is overloading there truck!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I think it's really about what tire performs best for you, looks, price and size. Usually for the sizes needed for these rigs, any tire will have the load range that is adequant. My stock tires were a "d" and now I got "e" for essentially the same tire, Goodyear Wrangler AT/S to a GY Wrangler Silent Armor, 265 to 285. I could care less of the load range, I'll never need to find out it's limits, just wanted the 285 tire. I think "c" is a bit on the wimpy side, still capable really, but I never noticed a difference going "d" to "e". The construction of the tire changed, it's a harder tire now but better all around too. Just find something you like, size you like and go from there. If you actually did extremes with these tires I'd say really don't go below "d" to be secure.

Quick Reply: Load Range C or E