97 rear ABS brake module leaking, rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 rear ABS brake module leaking, rebuild?

I started by replacing a leaky brake line across the rear axle. I have now replaced the entire brake line system and find that the rear ABS module (rear ABS only in my truck) is leaking fluid from underneath. I think the two steel retainer cups in the bottom of the module are rotting out.

Is there a rebuild kit available for this module? I have looked around a bit with no success. The dealer price is $130-ish for a new module.

BTW, I have to take this oppoortunity to curse Ford for using two different fitting sizes throughout the system. On at least three lines, there ais a 3/16 and 7/16-24 fitting on each end. To top it off, the brass block on the rear axle has a different sized thread for each of the two rear wheel cylinder lines - even though both cylinders have 3/16 threads.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure about the rebuild kit... but I'd guess you will need to buy an entire module. I doubt that the manufacturer would want someone in their garage to be tearing apart the ABS module and rebuilding it. But I don't know for sure.

As to the multiple thread sizes - manufacturers do this on purpose to error proof the assembly process. If the two pipes had the same size fittings, the people on the manufacturing line could hook them up backwards. But since they are different threads, you can only hook up the correct ones. Not all manufacturers do this, but some do. Some of our master cylinders even have different threads for the primary and secondary circuits.

But yes, I can see how this would be a PITA if you are custom fitting new lines.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I had assumed that a service kit was not available for safety reasons. I have relegated myself to buying a replacement module.

Thanks for the insight on the tubing threading.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by d-cubed
The dealer price is $130-ish for a new module.

While I have no answer for you, this is interesting. I havn't had my ABS working since I bought my truck 3 years ago.. Finally took it to Ford to figure out last year. They said that the ABS module needed replacing.. I atleast THINK that's what they said.. It sounded like the main part of the ABS system. Anyway, I don't know if I have a 4 wheel or 2 wheel abs system.. Its an '00 XLT 7700. Point of my post is that ford wanted $600 to do the job. I laughed, and have been wanting to take it other places for estimates, but havn't gotten around to it. Seeing as you seem to know something about ABS systems, do you have any idea of what the hell Ford is talking about?!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 AM
I think the $130 is just to buy the module... your $600 would be with labor. That seems like a lot for labor, but I'm not sure where the ABS module is located in your truck... it might take a lot of work to get it out if its down under the master cylinder aways and hard to get to?

Maybe try to find an ABS module online or something. Perhaps you can order one for like $130 and then get a small shop or local mechanic to install it for you? Theres not too much to screw up, so I don't think there would be an issue with going to a non-ford shop.

Quick Reply: 97 rear ABS brake module leaking, rebuild?