Brake problem help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problem help!

I have finally decided to do something about this. Whenever i stop or my truck is just sitting in drive with the brake applied, it makes an odd noise, like a ring spinning around a rod or something, seems to be coming from the passenger side, but who knows. Been doing this since i bought the truck six months ago, no one knows what it is, no one seems to think its a problem (no one in my family at least). Any ideas?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM
can you describe the sound in more detail? Could it be due to air rushing through/around something?

As you hold the brake pedal, does it get stiffer? Or come back at all?

The only thing I can think of is that you might have a vacuum leak in the booster such that when you apply the brakes there is a constant flow of air through the booster. The booster sucks the air from the cab, around the rod that attaches to the brake pedal. Perhaps you can get your head down next to the pedal and push on the pedal with your hand and see if the noise is coming from there?

Thats about the only thing I can think of that would be brake related.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
its hard to explain, it sounds like coins rattling in a can or something its really weird. like spinning a quarter on a table. does that help?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
ha... it helps define the noise, but confuses the issue for me. Sorry, but I really can't make any other guesses as to what this could be. Hopefully someone else can make a suggestion

Last edited by mkosu04; 04-22-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Check for a loose clip on the passenger side leafspring. There should be a rubber isolator there, but mine fell out. Shot some silicone in there and it stopped.

I checked everything I could think of; cat heat shields, shock bolts, all the bolts & washers, cuz it sounded like a big loose washer rattling around a bolt.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Maybe the little tabs on the pad sliders aren't bent over so they themselves don't slide. I had that, the damn thing drove me nuts.

Quick Reply: Brake problem help!