Just replaced my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Just replaced my brakes

After mulling over which brand I was going to buy, I ended up buying Carquest Blues for about $110 out the door. It took me 3 months to decide which brand to go with. But a certain member here preaches them and I took the bait.

So at least it was a nice warm day. I got started about 4pm. I told myself I wasn't going to do the rears though. I got the first tire off, then proceeded to take out the bolts that hold the caliper in place. Just a snug turn of each and they broke free. Damn I am used to have to have a cheater bar on there and using a propane torch. I had the first wheel done in rough 20 minutes. I was putting the lug nuts on when it hit me. DOH!!! I forgot the little springs on there. So back off it came. Both side on the front went really smooth. I had probably 1/4" of pad left.

As for the rear. Those took a little bit more work. I had to beat on them a little with my rubber mallet. They were a little more tricky too. I knocked both of them out in 45 minutes. After looking at the pads, I had maybe 1/8" left of pad. Plus the sliders were stuck.

After goofing up one time and taking a few beer breaks, I ended up maybe spending 2.5 hours on this. My truck has 62k miles on it and the rotors do not need turned. And a scale on the toughness factor compared to other vehicles I have done, I would rank this a 3 out of 10. Your main concerns would be stooping down (unless you have a hydraulic lift) and that's it.

For those of you putting it off getting your brakes, it is EASY !! This is my 4th brake job that I have done.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done it so many times on mine, I could do it blind. Not always for brake replacement, sometimes just needing to go further looking for other stuff, especially the rears where I was f-n with the e-brake a bit there. Good job, I take it you used Carquest "blue" semi-metallics? As I found out, the blue line which I guess has the B in the start of the part number also includes ceramic as well. The pad is black. So far so good for my rears but we'll see a few more miles before the fronts are due again anyways.

Turd, you will be a very happy man with these pads.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeha I picked up the semi metallics. I love the fact I finished up with only having about $140 bucks invested in this total instead of $300+

The truck did stop a heck of a lot better now. So thanks for the recommendation on pads.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff, definetely will be happy on what is supposed to be OE replacement pads etc. I have a hard time justifying pricey fancy pads and rotors that to me would yield the same stopping or a slight bit better under test conditions. The real world hands you so many variables that sometimes freezing time is the only way to avoid hitting something. They seem to be kinda like a placebo of brakes, the fancy this and that but if they work fine, don't rock the boat. I just figured why get slotted and cross drilled for mine because mainly I can't see them anyways through my saw blade wheels. That was basically my deciding factor, that and I hate ordering online sometimes.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my pads replaced a few weeks ago myself.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my brakes