Wheels/Tires on a current lift project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels/Tires on a current lift project

Hello all,

I have been an "invisible member" for a while now, just reading and looking on the sidelines enjoying everyone else's posts and pics. But I just started a project to lift my truck and have run into a wall, I know you guys can help from the previous wisdom I have read that you have given others....

I have a 2001 F-150 extended cab 4X4 w/ 5.4 V8. I contracted a local shop to perform the work, Mike's Off Road here in fort Worth Texas. I have ordered the 6" lift kit and had the wheels and tires selected but I quickly found out they did not make it for my model.

I want to get the 20" wheels, as I have seen many here and the look is exactly what I want. Once I saw the Moto Metal 951's I knew it was the one, well maybe it isn't after all as they don't make the wheel for my bolt pattern. So Mike's and I went through the catalogs finding wheels similar to that one, and NONE of them were in my bolt pattern!

Am I wrong thinking that this is a popular model truck I have? I guess I don't understand why none of the wheels are made to fit it.

Can anyone help out with this? The kit is coming in about 5 days, and I need to find the wheels by the time the kit arrives.

THANKS in advance!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
BSL
what pattern do you have pretty sure the 5x135 comes in most. if you have the 7700 package then you probably have a different (6xsomething?) pattern and that is the cause of your frustration. good luck

Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by BSL
what pattern do you have pretty sure the 5x135 comes in most. if you have the 7700 package then you probably have a different (6xsomething?) pattern and that is the cause of your frustration. good luck
It is the 5 lug pattern (5 x 135 I believe).

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by sgunn911
It is the 5 lug pattern (5 x 135 I believe).

Thanks!
He might be right. they might not make a 20" inch rim for that bolt pattern. Goodluck with your choice though. I haven't seen any 20's with the 5 lug bolt pattern for trucks but I could be wrong.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sux. Hopefully you can find a 20 you like. You may have to drop down to an 18 inch wheel.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
That sux. Hopefully you can find a 20 you like. You may have to drop down to an 18 inch wheel.
Wow! I got a reply from the famous Wandell on my little post!

Like I said, Ive been watching this site for a while in the background. I figured if Wandell didn't know then nobody would as active as you are in the forums and having the same body style truck as mine.

Looks like an 18" wheel it may have to be. Only problem is.....I got a call this afternoon from Mike's Off Road and they don't make the Moto Metal 951's in an 18" either, or a 17" for that matter.

In fact, none of the wheels (that I picked out anyway) offer this bolt pattern in 18". I am beginning to get very frustrated, as well as a bit confused.

I am really open to suggestions here. Any ideas anyone? Seen this bodystyle truck with a set-up that caught your eye? Brainstorming time!

Thanks guys, it's nice to find forums that are friendly, helpfull and passionate about the topic - and for the most part free from those people haters that attack and degrade others. That is becoming a disturbing trend lately.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Not sure why you can't find a 20" rim for your truck...it took me all of 5 seconds on 4wheelparts.com to find about 30 (didn't count). But they do have the MotoMetal 954 which is sharp in a 20X10 in your bolt pattern. Here is the link:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Mo...fPMO9542013218

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Schmidtty

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Suspended

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...MO950_F-150_MW

You can look around here for some wheels we already have on the site, but we also carry XD and all other moto metals. Feel free to give me a call tomorrow at the office and we can get something for you ASAP so it can go on with the lift.

Alon
714-459-5597

Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Schmidtty
Not sure why you can't find a 20" rim for your truck...it took me all of 5 seconds on 4wheelparts.com to find about 30 (didn't count). But they do have the MotoMetal 954 which is sharp in a 20X10 in your bolt pattern. Here is the link:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Mo...fPMO9542013218

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Schmidtty
I was told that 10's would cause a rubbing problem. The salesman was set on trying to get a 8. Mike's Off Road has been the "go to place" for 4X4 related items in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for over 28 years now, I just assumed the advice I was getting was accurate.

I have always owned 4 wheel drive trucks as I do find myself needing it a few times a year on our families ranch, but this is my first time to lift one and my ignorance is showing a bit here.

To be honest, the 4 wheel drive probably just gets me in deeper trouble most of the time in that black soil on the ranch. I have spent many, many hours walking across pastures through the mud to get the John Deere Tractor and pulling my truck out that I just planted.

The truck you have pictured is the look I am trying to achieve, just beautiful! Maybe my troubles are being amplified by the salesmen. They may be too loyal to the old looks that were popular for all those years (smaller wheels and huge tires).

Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 AM
I just realized that your truck is the one I made 8X10 photo prints of and took to Mike's to show them exactly what I wanted mine to look like!! I can't believe I didn't catch that the first time around. I made like 10 prints from your gallery and made photo quality prints so I wouldn't have to try and explain what I was looking for.

Again, nice job putting your ride together!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost every member hear and FTW with a lifted 97-03 F-150 4x4 uses 10 inch wide wheels. As long as you go with one with 4.5 inches of backspacing, or close to it, you will be fine.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
glad we got that sorted out for you. If wandell says you will have no issues, then you will have no issues!!!

Thanks for the compliments, I am proud of her but of course these things are never done...still a few things I want to do to her, mostly the interior now. But of course there will be 37's on her once these 35's wear out. Be sure to post pics of your truck when she is done!

Schmidtty

Old 04-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Yes there are alot of choices still but as the poplularity of the 04-08s have taken over the wheel companies have stopped making alot of wheels in the 5x135 pattern. The other thing too is that alot of the most popular styles that have come out in the last couple years were never made in the 5x135 only 6x135. I like the MotoMetal 957's but will never be able to get'em because of the bolt pattern issue

Last edited by jdlowesracer; 04-18-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:05 AM
You make a good point there, after thinking about it for a while I can see the manufacturer's decision to not produce in a model that is now over 4 years past (mine's a '01 but the body changed in '04, right?). I imagine that the majority of the conversions and lifts take place shortly after purchase and not 5 yrs later.

I would consider a new truck, but mine is paid in full and has only 33,000 miles on it. Just doesn't make sense at the moment.

I will take the info you guys thankfully passed along and give Mike's a call in the morning. Hopefully it will be the end of this particular post, and we can mark it up as yet another problem solved here in these forums!!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Schmidtty
glad we got that sorted out for you. If wandell says you will have no issues, then you will have no issues!!!

Thanks for the compliments, I am proud of her but of course these things are never done...still a few things I want to do to her, mostly the interior now. But of course there will be 37's on her once these 35's wear out. Be sure to post pics of your truck when she is done!

Schmidtty
You won't have any rubbing issues with a 37" tire? I like your 35's, but can imagine what the 37's may lok like and can see why you would want them.

I also noticed you have yours cranked up to 8". Would there be problems with this set-up on a normal 6" lift? They quoted me the skyjacker lift kit, any additional items I need to add or would improve the finished product?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Wheels/Tires on a current lift project