First Brake pad change

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Brake pad change

Hey guys,
I had new 35's put on my rig and the dude who installed didn't bother tellin me the pads were low. Anyway, I got about an 1/8" or less left and really need to change them this weekend. The rotors certainly aren't polished anymore but there aren't any deep grooves or anything and I only have 29k on my 05 Lariat 4x4 5.4L superbadcab; should I worry about getting them spun? Also, any suggestions for the least amount of dust from pads to be put back on the stock rotors from a store like Advance auto or somesh*t?
Thx fellas

Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
ceramic for the least amount of dust. I just got new pads yesterday and the difference between metallic and ceramic was about $50. I have 86k on mine and didnt get the rotors spun, I dont have any warping or deep grooves and the brakes work fine. I probably will get new ones later this summer.
hope it helps

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MxRagdoll
Hey guys,
I had new 35's put on my rig and the dude who installed didn't bother tellin me the pads were low. Anyway, I got about an 1/8" or less left and really need to change them this weekend. The rotors certainly aren't polished anymore but there aren't any deep grooves or anything and I only have 29k on my 05 Lariat 4x4 5.4L superbadcab; should I worry about getting them spun? Also, any suggestions for the least amount of dust from pads to be put back on the stock rotors from a store like Advance auto or somesh*t?
Thx fellas
I've been selling quite a few of the Stoptech/Centric Stage kits which include pads, slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines and motul brake fluid. You mentioned you only wanted to go with new pads, so I would go with the centric posi quiet pads and get your rotors turned if you wanted to go that route. The posi Quiets are designed for bigger trucks/suv's and are a low dust pad.

Since you have 35's I would suggest doing the full upgrade.

Stage kit..
http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...Tech_Stage2_MW

Centric pads
http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...0_24WD_0407_DC

If you have any questions just let me know,

Alon

Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I myself go with Carquest semi-metallic pads with their better rotors. I would say this combo has 100% no dust but nothings perfect, it's damn close. Braking performance is noticeably increased as rotor size and caliper strength increases, these will work fine. I'm in the midst of trying Carquest ceramic pads on the back right now, so far so good.

Anything semi-metallic ought to work just fine, going from 31's to 33's made no difference I noticed, you'll be fine.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info,
I checked out Carquest and found a location 5 miles from home. Hope I can get there before 6pm tonight after work at 5pm! Anyway, they have a Gold-Blue-Red set series of different quality pads, which ones do you recommend? And I have air tools & a compressor, never changed the rotors on an f150, is there anything I should look out for?
Regards

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by MxRagdoll
Thanks for the info,
I checked out Carquest and found a location 5 miles from home. Hope I can get there before 6pm tonight after work at 5pm! Anyway, they have a Gold-Blue-Red set series of different quality pads, which ones do you recommend? And I have air tools & a compressor, never changed the rotors on an f150, is there anything I should look out for?
Regards
Carquest Blue seems to be the popular choice.

- NCSU

Quick Reply: First Brake pad change