which wheel will stick out more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which wheel will stick out more?

I know the more the b.s. the more it will be tucked but don't know how to read the offset. The wheels are 18x10 with 6" b.s. and +12 offset. The other is a 18x9 with 5" b.s. and +2 offset. Which will stick out more. Thanks guys.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Offset is just another way of telling BS, more or less. BS is measured from the back of the wheel to the mounting surface. Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel, to the mounting surface in Millimeters.

All wheels measure 1" wider than they advertise, that is because the bead of the wheel is not considered in that measurement of width. With that being said, a wheel with 0 offset, will have the mounting surface dead center in the wheel. On a 10" wheel, that will be 5.5" BS, because the actual width of the wheel is 11". Since your 18x10 wheels have 6" of BS, it means the mounting surface is on the "positive" side of the wheel centerline (more towards the face of the wheel). The distance from the centerline of the wheel (which is 5.5") to the mounting surface is .5". If you convert that to MM, it ends up being 12mm. That is where your +12mm offset comes from.

Back to your wheels listed. Both wheels will stick out the same. That is because the extra inch of width on the 10" wheel will be placed on the inside of the truck. It will look the same on the outside of the truck, but you will have an extra 1" of wheel on the inside, compared to the 9" wheel.

The 9" BS and offset do not match up with each other. The offset is actually 0mm. Hope this helps and I didn't confuse anybody. I am sometimes terrible at explaining things.

Last edited by street3285; 04-07-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, they will both stick out the same.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Thank you street for that explaination. It made perfect sense to me and I've actually been wondering for some time now how the offset differed from the bs. Nicely explained.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info man. Makes perfect sense.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by street3285
Offset is just another way of telling BS, more or less. BS is measured from the back of the wheel to the mounting surface. Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel, to the mounting surface in Millimeters.

All wheels measure 1" wider than they advertise, that is because the bead of the wheel is not considered in that measurement of width. With that being said, a wheel with 0 offset, will have the mounting surface dead center in the wheel. On a 10" wheel, that will be 5.5" BS, because the actual width of the wheel is 11". Since your 18x10 wheels have 6" of BS, it means the mounting surface is on the "positive" side of the wheel centerline (more towards the face of the wheel). The distance from the centerline of the wheel (which is 5.5") to the mounting surface is .5". If you convert that to MM, it ends up being 12mm. That is where your +12mm offset comes from.

Back to your wheels listed. Both wheels will stick out the same. That is because the extra inch of width on the 10" wheel will be placed on the inside of the truck. It will look the same on the outside of the truck, but you will have an extra 1" of wheel on the inside, compared to the 9" wheel.

The 9" BS and offset do not match up with each other. The offset is actually 0mm. Hope this helps and I didn't confuse anybody. I am sometimes terrible at explaining things.
You seems to have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to sizing. Do you know if a wheel that is 8.5x20 with a +33 MM 6in. backspace would be made for more of an off-road tire. Got 305/55/20's on a 2wd F150 with a 2.5 leveling kit.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 AM
No problem on the info....... you gain a certain knowledge for this stuff when you work for a custom wheel manufacturer for 2 years and are around truck and muscle cars your whole life.

Originally Posted by sberrett
You seems to have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to sizing. Do you know if a wheel that is 8.5x20 with a +33 MM 6in. backspace would be made for more of an off-road tire. Got 305/55/20's on a 2wd F150 with a 2.5 leveling kit.
I think that would be a good fit for a leveling kit. I don't think you will have any rubbing and the 8.5" wide wheel looks good with that size tire. It does "pinch" the tire a bit, but it will leave a nice tire "bulge". If I had a leveling kit, that is what I would run.

Quick Reply: which wheel will stick out more?