9" Disk Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9" Disk Brake Conversion

Thought i'd post this up here. Not really sure where it goes, the 9" is out of a 78 f150/bronco though. The axle will now however reside under a 93 Explorer that i'm building as a trail rig. Thought you all may be interested.

Well, since 8.8 brakes won't bolt onto a 78 bb 9" (even though they are "torrino" style flanges the bolt pattern is different). I started working on a custom swap. All in all it's comming in at less than 100 bucks too The mock up should be finsihed tomorrow. I am using .25" PVC sheets for the mock up brackets. Once I get everything the way I want i'll have the final brackets cut out of steel. The PVC is VERY nice to work with. Easy to cut and shape, I used my dremel and a rasp for everything. What I really like though is that it's sturdy enough to bolt everything onto so you can check clearances and the overall fit very easily.

Parts:
1) Oldsmobile Bravada Calipers (i beleive it was a late 90's early/mid 2000 model i pulled them off of)
2) 1990 Suzuki Samurai Front Rotors
3) Custom bracket

Pics:

Since I am using grade 8 bolts instead of the pressed in studs I do have to knock a corner of the bolt head off so that they will be nice and flush with the bracket. Also, not show, is a couple of .25" spacers that move the bracket out just enough so that the caliper assembly will fit properly.

For Future Reference:

Quick Reply: 9" Disk Brake Conversion