Caliper seal damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper seal damage

In the process of troubleshooting an ABS problem, I have had to remove the calipers a couple of times, and this latest time I noticed that the seal around the upper piston of the right front caliper has a tear in it. I'd say that the length of the tear is about 60 degrees around the diameter of the seal. However, there is no leaking fluid of any kind around the seal, so it still seems to be working OK.

I'm concerned that this tear will get larger over time and fail at some point, causing me to lose my brakes on that side.

I ordered a pair of calipers and plan on installing them in the next week or so. Can anyone offer any advice on things I should be prepared for when installing the calipers?

Since I would have to disconnect the caliper from the brake line, I would need to bleed the brakes. Can I bleed just the two wheels? How would I clamp off the brake line at the wheel? Would it be better to bleed the whole system (RR, LR, RF, LF)? I have access to a hand-pumped Mity-Vac bleed tool, but I've never used it. Any tips on that are appreciated.

I think what caused the tear is my own ignorance about how to get the caliper off. There was a lot of resistance getting them off, and I really had to fight them. Then I saw a picture of a C-clamp around the caliper compressing the pistons BEFORE removing the caliper, so I tried it, and it came right off. So I think that's what happened. Oh well, live and learn.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Yup, replace them calipers because I think in a short period of time a leak will happen. Don't even fu<k with it, replace. Then bleed all 4, never just 2 doing it in the way you said, furthest from the master to closest. You'll have almost all new fluid, no air and no leaks, win win. I never used that tool before, just the regular one and somebody pumping. As far as compressing the caliper, I would even though you don't need to I guess. It just means if you don't, more fluid remains in the caliper to drain in a bucket and then more newer fluid can be used to fill the voids. Not sure off hand if it is necessary or not. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes replace them but it will take awhile to F up.
You will need to bleed all 4 but start with the fronts you replace first. then move to the furtherst to the closest just like you normaly would you may need to have a code reader with an ABS function.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

44dwarf, why would I need a code reader that reads ABS?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
To bleed the ABS units you need to run the ABS pump it's done with the OBD2 tool but it has to have the abs program in it. The cheap $80 ones will not do it the cheapest i've found was $325 so i had mine done after hours at a dealer by a freind.

Last edited by 44dwarf; 02-20-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Caliper seal damage