Discount Tire Guy ... is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discount Tire Guy ... is this correct?

OK so I have about 2 months before my GREAT factory tires from ford bite the dust. I just had them rotated and asked my tire guy some questions about when that day comes. First I have a 2006 F-150 S.Crew w/ factory 20's and a 2" factory level kit. I was asking about the Nitto/BFG/Toyo 20's vs 18's and getting new wheels. He told me to stay with 20's for the ride quality - that all of the above 18" tires are 10 ply and will ride harder? I'm looking to get a more 'truck' look - but dont want to sacrafice ride quality/noise. I drive about 70/30 highway/city. Also I'm looking for suggestions for after market wheels. I would like a little offset so that they stick outside the body a little - but not so much that I need to worry about everything getting kicked up along the side of the truck. I like wheels that have a deep lip, I'm thinking chrome b/c my truck is all black and chrome.

Help me out - also if you can reccomend a place to put this package together even better.

THANKS!!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I got 18" nittos and didn't think they were a 10 ply, they ride nicer than stock.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
The more sidwall you have the better for ride quality 10-20-800 ply wont matter.....well ok that might, but the more sidewall the better. My first car was a chevy cavalier, it had 15 in rims to start off with drove them for years. Then I finally got a good job so I switched out the rims for 18's had about an inch of sidewall on a good day after that the car drove like a bread wagon! I dont know what all this craze about big rims are, just make sure that the rims will clear the rotors though otherwise you are in trouble! Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I dont know what hes talking about everything in an 18 being 10 plys. Cars usualy ride rougher just becayse the sidewall gets so thin with low profile. As long as the you have a good amount of sidewall height, thats what creates your cushion and you will be fine.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM
The smallest rim you could go with on our trucks is a 17.

I've had both the BFG's and the Toyo's!! x2 for both

For more of a truck look I'd go BFG's also a lil better off road and really not that loud!
The Toyo's lil if any noise but not as tuff looking of a tire!
If run BFG's from 31x10.50, 285/75's up to 35's they have all been great!
Toyo's I ran 31's and 33's also good!
Another tire I have used was the Goodyear Wrangler ATS not to loud and a smooth ride!! Still a Tuff look...

If you didn't already guess I don't know about the Nitto's
But I think they look a lot like the Toyo so would guess they are about the same.

Last edited by Mr. eXtreme; 02-15-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
What is a factory level kit Is it a aftermarket that dealer put on?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM
used to work at discount tire, and wandell will chime in anytime and help here also...

but just so you know, i used to have nitto terra grapplers.. 33's.. on 18 inch moto metals.. its a 3 ply tire.. a 10 ply or 8 ply is for heavy duty, and towing.. they are also not cheap!.. but you would be able to tell the diff just by weight alone!..

im guessin that kid had no idea what he was talking about.. or there was a big miss conception..

i say go with the 20's, you wont notice that big of a difference since your going with a 33inch tire, as long as you dont expect it to ride like a caddy wiht offroad/allterains on it..

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by FirstTimeFord
And this is just the begining!
Guys like me drink to many beers on friday after work
Our best blue jeans have skoal rings
Member of the honky tonk Redneck association
Amen brother !

Quick Reply: Discount Tire Guy ... is this correct?