brake diagnosis???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake diagnosis???

Can any of you techy types give me some input into brake system diagnostics? I have a '97 F150 4x4, w/ 285 70 16's and braking performance just SUCKS! lol I have changed pads, calipers and rotors through the years, rear shoes also. Front hoses have been changed, flushed, bled etc. I have tried several different pad types and brands with little change. The brakes never were great, but know cannot lock them up in any situation, and panic stops require alot of planning! Anyhow, is there any thing else to check, are line pressures able to be checked?? master cylinder, booster etc.??? I'm used to it, but my son drives it some and I don't trust it....THANKS!!:santa:

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by firedog
Can any of you techy types give me some input into brake system diagnostics? I have a '97 F150 4x4, w/ 285 70 16's and braking performance just SUCKS! lol I have changed pads, calipers and rotors through the years, rear shoes also. Front hoses have been changed, flushed, bled etc. I have tried several different pad types and brands with little change. The brakes never were great, but know cannot lock them up in any situation, and panic stops require alot of planning! Anyhow, is there any thing else to check, are line pressures able to be checked?? master cylinder, booster etc.??? I'm used to it, but my son drives it some and I don't trust it....THANKS!!:santa:
My first thing to suspect would be the booster. Is it getting vacuum and is it holding it. After that, are the pads too hard? And next is master cylinder pressuring enough fluid?

Quick Reply: brake diagnosis???