No Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Brake Lights

I have a 98' F150 4.6L and my brake lights do not come on when i press on the brake. The lights themselves work fine when my headlights are turned on or if i go in reverse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by bpkingcobra; 11-01-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Identify your year.

Check the brake lamp fuse. If blown, what is the cruise switch recall status on your truck?

If the fuse is not blown, check the switch on the brake pedal.

The taillights you are seeing are not brake lights. While part of the same bulb (usually), they are on a different circuit.

Steve

Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 AM
also check the bulbs... perhaps one has been burned out and only now that the other also burned out you noticed?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, the bulbs and fuses looked fine. i disconnected the switch above the pedal and it seem to look ok. I took a paper clip and folded it in a "U" shape and connected it into the switch to make contact to test the power and my brake lights came on. I connected the switch back and when i stepped on the brake, the brake lights came on??!!

I don't know if it was dirty in there which is why it wasn't getting power or what but after sticking the paper clip in there just to test it, it seemed to help.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by bpkingcobra
Well, the bulbs and fuses looked fine. i disconnected the switch above the pedal and it seem to look ok. I took a paper clip and folded it in a "U" shape and connected it into the switch to make contact to test the power and my brake lights came on. I connected the switch back and when i stepped on the brake, the brake lights came on??!!

I don't know if it was dirty in there which is why it wasn't getting power or what but after sticking the paper clip in there just to test it, it seemed to help.
sounds like bad contacts or a loose connection.

I'd keep an eye on it for a couple weeks, hopefully the problem doesn't return

Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by bpkingcobra

A quicker way to check it would be to spray some WD-40 on the switch and then press the pedal a few times. If the switch is dirty or sticking the WD will free it up.

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights