Noob tire. leveling questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob tire. leveling questions

Hey all, my first post! Been around for a while, just never had a user ID. So now I'm settled in with my new '07 Screw FX4 and need some new tires cuz the Scorps just don't cut it. I'll be doing mostly all on road driving, but lots of upstate NY snow covered road driving while pulling a trailer. My questions are, will a BF AT 285/65/20 do the job while pulling a trailer, and would I be better served with a leveling system and maybe a little bigger tire? I work for a Ford dealer, so as far as cost goes, I'm not too concerned, but as far as technical advice goes, they don't seem to know too much about what would work best, so I decided to come to the experts.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I don't see why you would need a leveling kit for towing purposes only. Afterall, towing a trailer may even level the truck out for you. ;]

However, installing bigger tires may require you to purchase a leveling kit to avoid rubbing issues.

As for what tires would or would not do the job when towing, pretty much all will do a decent job.... depending on the load you're towing of course.

When it comes to snow, the BF AT's should do fine. I've had them on a vehicle in the past and went thru two snow seasons here in VA [nothing like you guys get upstate, of course] and had no issues. In fact, my '07 Xterra currently has them and, with my seven month old son riding in my Xterra often, I would have thrown them out and purchased different tires if I thought they posed an issue.... especially with the nasty whether just around the bend. I'm sticking with what I have.

On a side note: there are many here who believe that a "bigger" tire is a lot less functional in the snow that a narrower tire.

Good luck and please post what route you ultimately decided to take.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BFG's would be an excellent choice.

Quick Reply: Noob tire. leveling questions