Air Brakes on an F-150??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Brakes on an F-150??????

OK, I know this is a bit out there, but, I was driving my uncles grain truck the other day an noticed the air brakes on it.

I don't know anything about air brakes but I got to thinking about how cool it would be to have them on my F-150. My brakes are fine but it would be cool as hell to have them on a normal truck.

Has anyone else ever thought of or heard about anyone trying to do this?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I've never heard of it... you may have trouble finding components small enough to fit a F150 (although with custom wheels perhaps you have more room?)

I imagine this mod would require lots of custom components. Then once its all on, it might be very hard (impossible?) to tune the system to a point where you like the pedal feel.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
never heard of anyone doing it on an f150, but i do know that air brakes are designed to work better when trucks are heavily loaded. that be alot of gear you would have to install.
1. air compressor
2. air dryer
3. air tank
4. slack adjusters
man i dont know if theres enuf room for all the stuff youd have to instal

Old 10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

ya probably not even close to being practical. i'm sure someone could do it though. you have to agree that it would be bad ***!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
ya probably not even close to being practical. i'm sure someone could do it though. you have to agree that it would be bad ***!
I think you need to have a certification to drive a vehicle with air brakes too.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Aaaa, ya, you'd have to know quite a bit on maintaining them for one, drain the tanks regularly as well as many other things. I just completed an air brake course so I know a bit on them. Stick with hydraulic setups, cool thaught but highly impractical. It's mandatory to have a Z endorsement on your license here to drive them.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, completely impractical, not to mention totally unnecessary on a pickup truck. Way more complicated, too many extra parts, and again, completely unnecessary.

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Aaaa, ya, you'd have to know quite a bit on maintaining them for one, drain the tanks regularly as well as many other things. I just completed an air brake course so I know a bit on them. Stick with hydraulic setups, cool thaught but highly impractical. It's mandatory to have a Z endorsement on your license here to drive them.
You would also need to add a treadle valve on your brake pedal, relay valve to activate the brakes, quick release valve, emergency valve if you're going to use them for parking, brake chambers, abs valve, sensors, excitor rings and module if you want abs, dash valve if using them for parking, air operated brake light switch, low air warning switch/light/buzzer, etc etc. Might be a whacky mod for someone that has too much money and time on their hands but that's about it. Plus as mentioned, you would need an air brake endorsment on your license.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by the time u add all that stuff you wont have to worry about braking, the truck will so heavy it wont want to move anyway.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
I think you need to have a certification to drive a vehicle with air brakes too.

Negative.

Anymore certifications are only based on weight classifications. 25,999 + and then also load specifications (i.e. hazardous materials, etc.)

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 10-19-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Negative.

Anymore certifications are only based on weight classifications. 25,999 + and then also load specifications (i.e. hazardous materials, etc.)
I guess it depends on where you are. In Canada if a vehicle has air brakes you need an air brake endorsement on your drivers license. Weight is not an issue.
I love air brakes. Much easier to work on than hydraulics.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 PM
To operate vehicles equipped with air brakes on a highway, you must have a B.C. driver's licence with an air brake endorsement. Typical vehicles with air brakes include dump trucks, large transport trucks (the cabs and/or trailers) and many types of buses. Some motor homes also have air brakes.

There are two types of air brake endorsements:

On-highway — You need this endorsement if you have a B.C. driver's licence and want to drive air brake equipped vehicles on a highway. A highway includes all roadways that can be used by the general public.

Off-highway (industrial) — You need this endorsement if you want to operate air brake equipped vehicles on industrial roads [click for definition]. An industrial road is most often a road used for transporting natural resources. Example: a logging road.
http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_ge...akes_index.asp

Old 10-20-2007, 03:01 AM
DRJ
I talked to my uncle about air brakes in a normal truck..after a long lecture on how impractical it was I concluded to never think of doing it again

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 PM
In the U.S. you can have an under CDL truck 25,999 GVW or below equipped with air brakes and have NO CDL whatsoever or air brake endorsement. Just a regular drivers license. Not sure about other countries.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I cant lie. It would be somewhat slick. Definately unexpected and one-off. Cool thought...

Quick Reply: Air Brakes on an F-150??????