89 F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F150

Hey, my name is rj and im new to the forum... here is my 1st problem i have had wit my truck...
I was driving last night and the "brake" like came on as if i did not release the emergency brake. Soon after the "rear antilock" like came on. The truck didnt seem to drive any different...

any ideas on what this could be? is there a known component to go wrong? could it just need new shoes?

thanks rj

Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
welcome

Do a search on ABS sensors going bad... it sounds like the sensor on your rear axle (I'm guessing an 89 doesn't have sensors on both rear wheels?) went bad. There are lots of postings on it...

BTW - as a general rule its a good idea to search before asking a question
no harm / no foul since you're new

Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The RABS light came on because of the fault in the regular brake system, so don't worry about that. It'll go out when you fix the original fault.

The original fault is most likely low fluid. Check it, and the float in the master cylinder. If it's not floating, replace the reservoir. If the fluid is actually low, find out why. Yes, it might be that the front pads are worn, or the rear autoadjusters are seized. Click my black Bronco below & look thru the Brakes & Hubs album. It shows how to pull RABS-II codes, if you want to.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
alright, i will check the fluid and go from there...

thanks guys...

Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I had an 89 that did the same thing. It was many moons ago but I recal a switch on the e-brake or the brake pedal was grounding out. Hope this helps. If something else comes to mind I will let you know.

Cheers

Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM
The e-brake switch won't turn on the yellow ABS light. Ever.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Like I said it was a long time ago... I only piped up because you said "The RABS light came on because of the fault in the regular brake system, so don't worry about that. It'll go out when you fix the original fault." and I remembered what I experienced. You contradict yourself by saying "The e-brake switch won't turn on the yellow ABS light. Ever." Anyways I'm not trying to argue I'm just trying to help out, and this isn't helping RJ.

Cheers

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Ryan1979
You contradict yourself by saying "The e-brake switch won't turn on the yellow ABS light. Ever."
How does that statement contradict anything?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I understood it like this. The ABS light came on because of a fault in the system (as you said) and I would imagine a bad switch (as discussed) would classify as a fault. So repairing the bad switch would then correct the problem and both idiot lights would turn off. Was your statement not contradicting? I guess it’s a difference of opinion.

To move on one of my many Haynes repair manuals suggests the cause is fluid loss...so RJ your brakes are worn out and/or they are leaking. To paraphrase the manual says the first thing to check is the hydraulic system then the complete parking brake system including the switch (this is where my comment comes into play about the ebrake switch). The list goes on if everything checks out to this point.

Cheers!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 AM
You're making some WILD assumptions, and some LOOOOOOONG jumps to conclusions. Reread what I wrote in post #3, and compare it to what you wrote in post #9.

A switch doesn't "classify" anything - "classify" means "arrange into classes", or "declare as secret or restricted". Nor does the e-brake switch "qualify" as part of "the regular brake system" (which is what I wrote in post #3). And no: pressing the e-brake (which would be the equivalent of a bad switch) doesn't set an ABS fault.

SO: as I said in post #3 (and as you reiterated in post #9), the most likely cause is low fluid. But it's certainly not the e-brake switch.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm not going to pick what you said, what I said, and the terminology apart. I only tried to offer a suggestion for RJ and you shot it down quickly, I then answered your question about what was contradicting and I am sorry you missed my point. Like I said earlier I am not here to argue so there will be no further comments towards our conversation from me. However, I am left with this final thought...isn't the point of this web site to help each other not slam each other? Shouldn’t the person posting the thread be deciding what information is right or wrong, after all is this not part of how we learn how to fix things?

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Who's 'slamming' whom? I made a simple statement - no attacks; no insults. Then you jumped on your soapbox & told me I was contradicting myself. You STILL haven't justified what you thought was contradictory, and now you're acting like a wounded pup.

No, the original poster doesn't decide what's "right" - he decides what he's going to do to his truck, and neither of us is preventing that. Nor is our discussion, regardless of how heated it might become.

Quick Reply: 89 F150