Brake hose hanging

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake hose hanging

I have a 2001 SuperCrew. A rubber hose is hanging under the bed in the rear. It is connected to a junction with small metal tubes that go to the rear brakes. The end of the hose does not have a metal fitting and it doesn't look like it ever had a clamp. I don't know where it should connect but there is a plastic hose fitting hanging loosely from the bottom of the bed. The rubber hose would fit there. Is this hose some kind of overflow or air source? Can I just hook it to the plastic fitting? I couldn't find a digram of the rear brake system - I'm sure a glance at a diagram would answer my question. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to pay the dealership a hundred bucks just to hook up a hose...

Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not 100% sure without a pic, but it sounds like you're describing the diff vent. It usually goes up over the diff housing and i think theres a clip of some type there. Maybe the clip rotted out allowing it to fall down?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your axle vent. if it was a brake line trust me youd know it. you can just rig it back up there somehow. no need for dealership.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's definitely the axle vent. Click my black Bronco below & look in the 8.8" Axle album. It shows that hose.

Quick Reply: Brake hose hanging