AT vs. MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT vs. MT

Ok, So i am gonna buy some 35's as soon as my tires need to be replaced (yeah i'm getting a lift kit too so they can have clearance) I am going to be doing mostly city driving and not offroading. I would however like to do some offroading. I have an 03 2wd, From what I have read it sounds tome like an AT tire would be best in my situation over an MT tire. However, I still want a tire that is really beffy looking, such as a mud terrain tire, but doesn't wear down incredibly quickly doing city driving, and isn't super expensive or noisy. What are your suggestions. What are your preferences over the BFG T/A vs the Nitto Terra Grapplers

Thanks

Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 AM
If you aren't going to be doing much off roading, I would suggest the BFG A/T unless you can fork out the extra cash then get the Toyo M/T. I heard the Toyo M/Ts wear the best out of all the other mud tires. But in your situation it sounds like you'd be better off with an A/T tire. Also all the A/Ts depend. I would go with the BFG A/T. Haven't seen to much of the Nitto Terra Grapplers, although I really like their mud tire.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the BFG AT KO's or Nitto Terra Grapplers. Both are excellent tires.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go towards the AT tire since you don't plan to do alot of off road driving.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 PM
This is one area where you just can't have both. I was in the same boat as you, but opted for the Nitto Terra-Grapplers as the truth is my truck is on the road a lot more than it is off. That coupled with more frequent rotations and less tread life on the MT's sealed the deal.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
How do Mud Terrains handle in the snow?? I really like the look of MT's, but my fundamental need is doing well in the snow. I am about 75/25 leaning towards AT's, but if the MT's handle well in snow, I may have to reconsider. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, so if I can get 30k or so out of a set of MT's i'd be happy. I've heard a lot of people suggesting the Toyo MT's as the most wear-friendly MT's.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I just put on a set of 35" BFG A/T KO, they are great, they look beefy and ride great, I 'm on the road 95% of the time. I used to have a set of M/T on on of my old vehicles and they can be pretty noisy, not the best for highway driving. As for winter tires, the M/T's are not great, they don't have any sipping and will be terrible on ice and slippery sections. I say go with the A/T's they are a much better all around tire.

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by oneton54
I just put on a set of 35" BFG A/T KO, they are great, they look beefy and ride great, I 'm on the road 95% of the time. I used to have a set of M/T on on of my old vehicles and they can be pretty noisy, not the best for highway driving. As for winter tires, the M/T's are not great, they don't have any sipping and will be terrible on ice and slippery sections. I say go with the A/T's they are a much better all around tire.
I agree. The mt's are not good in snow. I really like my at-ko's. Just took a 1200 mile trip to Canada and back and was on a lot of old logging roads and sand and gravel. They are also quiet on the highway.

Quick Reply: AT vs. MT