Excessive tire wear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Excessive tire wear...

Evening all....have a weird situation here, will give all the details I have to see if any of you have some of ideas of what my trouble may be.

First I have an 2002 F150 XLT Super Cab with the FX4 package, 5.4, 3.55 open differential, 4x4. Under normal driving conditions I carry about 100lbs and myself at 235lbs in the cab and about 300lbs of load in the truck box(tool box, tools, chains, oil, misc., etc.) I drive 120 miles round trip to work and back M-F on 100% paved roads at an average speed of 65mph, sometimes 75-80mph.(South Dakota county roads) and maybe several miles of gravel during the week and weekends.(This has been my routine since getting new tires, this is what the tires are used on....)

Here is my problem... December 8th of 2006 with approximately 108,000mls on my truck I had Bridgestone Dueller AT/Revo's in a LT 26570R17 size installed, 4 of them all the way around, brand new, since then I have put on approximately 15000 miles on these tires with the above routine. They have been rotated 4 times, first on 01-11-07 with 111,112mls, second on 02-16-07 with 114,594mls, 3rd on 03-31-07 with 119,091mls and 4th/last on05-12-07 with 123,325mls. So the 4 tires have shared equal time front/back-almost.

All rotates were done by a Ford dealership and were rotated front to back or back to front, which ever way you want to look at it. Up until mid-April I kept all 4 tires at 50psi and then lowered to about 48 psi which is what I am at now. I don't accelerate hard, I do come to screaming stops quite often so I am hard on the brakes, the truck has not been loaded down or used for any towing since the new tires have been installed.

So here is the trouble, the tires that are currently on the front are allready down to 8/32" and the rears at about 12/32", these tires come new with 16/32" of tread depth on them...the 12/32" set is at a good amount of tread wear for 15000mls but I am concerned about the set that is at 8/32". I realized the difference in wear about 2 weeks before the last rotate. There is no uneven wear on any of the tires, no alignment issues, truck drives smooth and straight, a little stiff due to the LT's. What I can not understand is why they are not wearing down in depth evenly, I do understand that the rear set tread will wear down faster but the rotates should be evening that out and I could understand if all 4 tires were at 8/32" but why such the huge difference in tread wear?

I have contacted the original dealer on the issue and the only thing he could think of was that I was rotating too much, the dealer I have all my maintenance done at just said "I don't understand it either" after a quick look over during the rotate-the mechanic could not see anything with the truck that could cause the excessive wear, I also contacted Bridgestone customer service last week and spoke with a warranty rep.(these tires do not have any mileage warranty on them) and alls I got out of him was that the rear tires wear faster and that only getting 30000mls of out of this model of tire was normal.

Before this set of tires I had the exact same tire except in the P-Rated version, same size, model, etc. and got 55k out of them with about 2/32" of tread left.

So can anyone figure out if this is abnormal wear? Do I have the tires inflated to the correct pressure for my driving habits and for what the truck is used for? Am I rotating too often or not often enough? Do I have a faulty set of tires?-From different lots possibly?

Any help would be appreciated for I am stumped and with the commute I have I would hate too see this expensive set of tires be eaten up before the end of the year.

Thanks for the long read but I want to cover everything.

Thanks again,

Travis

BTW..here is a link to the specs on the tires-last one, bottome of page.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...productid=1055

Last edited by tgenetzky; 05-17-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
if you want your tires to last a long time you need to stop fogging the tires at every stoplight. haha

Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Inflation is correct for a LR E tire with a max of 80. If overinflated, you would be seeing wear only in the center of the tire, not all the way across. If underinflated you would only see wear on the outside edges.
You may be able to tell if the tires came out of 2 differnt lots by the serial numbers,

Other than that, it is pure guesswork as to why they would have an 1/8" difference in wear.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by tgenetzky
Evening all....have a weird situation here, will give all the details I have to see if any of you have some of ideas of what my trouble may be.

First I have an 2002 F150 XLT Super Cab with the FX4 package, 5.4, 3.55 open differential, 4x4. Under normal driving conditions I carry about 100lbs and myself at 235lbs in the cab and about 300lbs of load in the truck box(tool box, tools, chains, oil, misc., etc.) I drive 120 miles round trip to work and back M-F on 100% paved roads at an average speed of 65mph, sometimes 75-80mph.(South Dakota county roads) and maybe several miles of gravel during the week and weekends.(This has been my routine since getting new tires, this is what the tires are used on....)

Here is my problem... December 8th of 2006 with approximately 108,000mls on my truck I had Bridgestone Dueller AT/Revo's in a LT 26570R17 size installed, 4 of them all the way around, brand new, since then I have put on approximately 15000 miles on these tires with the above routine. They have been rotated 4 times, first on 01-11-07 with 111,112mls, second on 02-16-07 with 114,594mls, 3rd on 03-31-07 with 119,091mls and 4th/last on05-12-07 with 123,325mls. So the 4 tires have shared equal time front/back-almost.

All rotates were done by a Ford dealership and were rotated front to back or back to front, which ever way you want to look at it. Up until mid-April I kept all 4 tires at 50psi and then lowered to about 48 psi which is what I am at now. I don't accelerate hard, I do come to screaming stops quite often so I am hard on the brakes, the truck has not been loaded down or used for any towing since the new tires have been installed.

So here is the trouble, the tires that are currently on the front are allready down to 8/32" and the rears at about 12/32", these tires come new with 16/32" of tread depth on them...the 12/32" set is at a good amount of tread wear for 15000mls but I am concerned about the set that is at 8/32". I realized the difference in wear about 2 weeks before the last rotate. There is no uneven wear on any of the tires, no alignment issues, truck drives smooth and straight, a little stiff due to the LT's. What I can not understand is why they are not wearing down in depth evenly, I do understand that the rear set tread will wear down faster but the rotates should be evening that out and I could understand if all 4 tires were at 8/32" but why such the huge difference in tread wear?

I have contacted the original dealer on the issue and the only thing he could think of was that I was rotating too much, the dealer I have all my maintenance done at just said "I don't understand it either" after a quick look over during the rotate-the mechanic could not see anything with the truck that could cause the excessive wear, I also contacted Bridgestone customer service last week and spoke with a warranty rep.(these tires do not have any mileage warranty on them) and alls I got out of him was that the rear tires wear faster and that only getting 30000mls of out of this model of tire was normal.

Before this set of tires I had the exact same tire except in the P-Rated version, same size, model, etc. and got 55k out of them with about 2/32" of tread left.

So can anyone figure out if this is abnormal wear? Do I have the tires inflated to the correct pressure for my driving habits and for what the truck is used for? Am I rotating too often or not often enough? Do I have a faulty set of tires?-From different lots possibly?

Any help would be appreciated for I am stumped and with the commute I have I would hate too see this expensive set of tires be eaten up before the end of the year.

Thanks for the long read but I want to cover everything.

Thanks again,

Travis

BTW..here is a link to the specs on the tires-last one, bottome of page.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...productid=1055
First of all get you some better tires, and get em' filled with Nitrogen, and don't rotate em so darn much! Or you just got a Bad set of tires, It happens! Try These a buddy of mine has had these for over 2 year almost. Excellent tire!

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
P265/70R-17 113S ORB

Quick Reply: Excessive tire wear...