RABS Serious Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RABS Serious Issue

Hey guys, need your help on this one!

I started up my '98 F-150 (140,000+ miles, good condition) when out of nowhere, my ABS light starts flashing. It flashed 16 times before cycling again. I cannot shift it out of park at all! I understand this model truck has RABS (rear anti-lock braking system), and if something were wrong, it may lock up the transmission and won't shift at all. I checked the fuse, and the fuse is burnt. When I replaced it with another fuse from another circuit, it blew immediately. Could be a short in the wiring. It just took me by surprise that it wouldn't shift into neutral with the accessory on.
It's at a dealership right now. Towing it was a bitch.

Side note...I was under the impression that ABS was developed in the late 80's-early 90's and that under normal driving conditions (no wet or snowy pavement) that it was fine to drive without ABS capabilities. If so, is there a way I can temporairly disconnect the RABS to shift the truck into neutral or drive?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it was F13 that was blowing, I'd say you didn't have your cruise recall performed and you have a shorted SCDS switch.

Your RABS is not the problem. The flashing light is simply due to the missing power feed (blown fuse). Also, your brake lights aren't working.....

Your "understanding" the RABS is quite mistaken. It cannot burn up the transmission.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep! You are absolutely correct!

When I opened the hood yesterday, I smelled a burning (or smoldering) wire, but didn't know where it came from. I then noticed that a very small amount and fresh brake fluid was present on the brake feed on top of that switch. That was the recall item on the truck! I never did have it replaced.

Yep, it sure was the F13 fuse.

Damn, never thought of that. Thanks, bro!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that cruise recall takes 10 mins at the dealer. dont want her to go up in flames.

Quick Reply: RABS Serious Issue