Can I pull my ABS fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pull my ABS fuse?

I have a pulsating, clicking, dropping pedal, and hard to stop problem with my brakes, even if I'm at a complete stop the brakes still pulsate and click and no ABS light comes on. Sometimes the ABS will randomly come on and when it does the brakes feel perfect like nothing is wrong at all. Is it possible to pull the ABS fuse for a temporary fix until I can afford to put in the shop? I feel that it is some kind of electric problem with the ABS system and it would probably be safer for me and others if I disabled it.

97 F150
4.6 V8
2WD

Last edited by fishin' dude; 10-09-2006 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Wow, thanks for all the responses.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fishin' dude
Wow, thanks for all the responses.
Be patient. Many people, especially those who acually have a clue, have lives that don't involve waiting around their computers waiting to answer questions just for you.

First, need the production date of your truck. It should be on the sticker on the drivers door.

Second, need to determine if you have Rear-only (RABS) or 4WABS. Look at your front wheel knuckles for any electrical wiring, connectors, or the sensor. If present, you have 4WABS. If absent, you have one of the two possible RABS systems.

If you have RABS, you can pull fault codes yourself without any special test equipment. 4WABS taks a specialized scan tool.

Once it is determined which system is in use, a focused suggestion can be made.

Steve

Old 10-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto. In either case, yes, you can pull the fuse, but I would not suggest leaving it that way. It's not a fix for the problem.

Again, patience is a virtue. You posted after midnight on a Sunday night. Most of us have to work Monday mornings.

-Joe

Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I just had my 99 f150 4wd in the shop for the same problem, it pulsed and would not stop, no codes in the computer, it turns out that it was the sensors on the wheels that were causing the problem. Two front sensors and $375 later the truck stops like new again

Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mike024
I just had my 99 f150 4wd in the shop for the same problem, it pulsed and would not stop, no codes in the computer, it turns out that it was the sensors on the wheels that were causing the problem. Two front sensors and $375 later the truck stops like new again

mike,

Since we don't know yet if he even has front wheel sensors, your story, while entertaining, may not be relevent.

Steve

Old 10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
mike,

Since we don't know yet if he even has front wheel sensors, your story, while entertaining, may not be relevent.

Steve
It also might be. Of course it might be the sensor for the rear too.

Quick Reply: Can I pull my ABS fuse?