Is BFG junk??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is BFG junk??

I have been using BFG tires for 30 years or so. I think I had the first set of Mud Terrains back in the late 70's. Had many sets of TA radials. Just bought a set of Long Trails for the Ranger.

The Rugged Trail tires on my 2004 F-150 have just gone bad at only 29,000 miles. The tread is thin and I've had 2 blowouts. The owners reports on the Tire Rack site has nothing but complaints on the Long Trails and Rugged Trails. The hotrodders won't buy the TA radials anymore becouse of very poor quality. I believe that Mud Terrains, All Terrains and Krawlers are still good, but for how much longer?

I'm going to try Toyos next.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No tire company I can think of makes the best tire for all markets. Some are better on average, but all companies make at least some crappy tires. Just like Ford doesn't make the best vehicle for every market. I wouldn't put just any BFG, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc tire on my vehicles. I'd look for what tire model has good performance for the type of vehicle I would use it on.

The tire surveys @ Tirerack are a godo place to start, allthough it only lists tires they sell which does not include some other good tires.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 AM
My 285-65/18 AT/KO's are pure crap. Cannot be balanced, even with road force. It'll be a while before I purchase that brand again (and it's the only tire I have ever put on my last 4 trucks).

Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every tire company makes high end and low end tires. The AT KO's, MT KM's and Krawlers are BFG's high end tires.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I have felt like I was in the minority for a couple years now because I will not buy any more BFG A/T tires. Have had three sets over the last few years on two different trucks and I am not impressed. The tread looks great at first, but wears poorly and usually unevenly which makes the tires impossible to keep balanced. It has also been my experience that the tires get noisey on the highway at about 50% wear.

Recently I purchased my first set of Pirelli tires for my 4X4 Ranger. They are the Scorpion A/T - 16 inch, L/T. These are the nicest, smoothest riding L/T tires that I have ever owned. The tread design is good in mud but also outstanding on wet pavement. And, dry pavement braking is better than expected for a light truck A/T tire.

Only have about 5,000 miles on them, but at this point I would certainly buy this tire again. Seems like a good all-around design and the price was less than any of the other tires that I considered.

Quick Reply: Is BFG junk??