Changing bearings in front....is it hard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing bearings in front....is it hard?

I've never done it before and was wondering if it was difficult to do.
Are there two bearings per wheel or one?
I have a 1993 XLT 2 wheel drive with the 302 moving it along.

I am also thinking of changing the rotors (they are warped) and pads. If anyone has suggestions from autozone or advance auto, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
From what I understand it's not too hard, but I still need to do it.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I have a '97 4x2 SCab so I don't know if yours are exactly like mine, but they are not difficult if you're prepared. As with most vehicles (except my F-150) the disc slides off if the lug bolts and bearing assembly. On my F-150 the hub assembly is an integral part of the disc assembly therefore I cannot replace one without the other. This is the difference between $40 for a new disc and $150 for new disc/hub, inner and outer bearings (with races and grease seals). If you've got an afternoon to do it for the first time and are willing to get a little greasy it's not hard.

And there are 2 bearings per side (innner and outer).

I hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being changing a fuse and 10 being a transmission rebuild, wheel bearings on your 2wd are about a 2.5.

Make sure you learn how to properly pack the grease in teh new bearings, or buy a bearing packer from the local auto parts store. It's not difficult to do, but if done improperly, is almost as bad as not greasing them.

-Joe

Old 07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After knocking out the caliper slide pins, removing the caliper, popping off the dust cap, removeing the cotter key, and unthreading the wheel nut, the rotor falls off. Make sure you don't overtorque the wheel nut or the bearing will fail. Befor you unthread the nut, just tighten it slightly to get the feel of how tight the old nut is so you know how tight to put the nut back on. I turn the rotor at the same time I tighten the nut to make sure the bearings seat. Also if the rubber in the caliper slide pins looks cracked, replace them. I've seen them come out by themselves.

Quick Reply: Changing bearings in front....is it hard?