Tire Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Replacement Question

I'm newly registered. I used to subscribe to an F-150 mailing list about 5 years ago but when I moved and changed my internet provider I didn't resubscribe, I was so buys at the time and then the years went by and I didn't remember about the online community until now since I don't drive much at all these days. This brings me to my question.

I have a 2000 Supercab F-150 4x2. Since I hardly ever drive it I only have 10,200 miles on it. The tires are still the original ones that came with the truck. I was looking to change the tires this month, the truck is exactly 6 years old now. My husband and I went to Sam's Club to look at tires and the attendant told me that my tires are still great and hardly worn, that he heard it was 10 years to change tires. I'm concerned about tire fatigue, but then again spending $600 on tires when the truck only gets taken out for no longer than 20 miles drives and that is about once or twice a week at most, well I can't justify it. My question is about tire fatigue since I wasn't able to find much information on this on the internet. I know Ford recommends 6 years, but my husband says I'm a special case due to the fact that I drive so little and my tires still look new. I don't know what to do about this and would like some advice on when is the usual amount of time to change tires or if there's anything I should look for to know if it is time to change them or not.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Tires can be very forgiving. Usually cracks around the base of the tread, really bad ones, not hairline cracks are a good sign. Excessive leaking is another. I have a set of tires on my 64 that have to be from the 80's and are cracked badly from sitting in a field for 8 years. Believe it or not, I put air in them in 96 and haven't touched them. Granted the car is only sitting biend trailered everywhere due to restoration, but they still hold air that good. I would be more inclined to say replace them after 10 years if not more, you'll know when it's time.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think you would be ok with what you drive. My truck gets driven about 1K a week. I just bought it and it had original tires and they were cracking pretty bad around the treads but looked like they were fine from far away so I replaced them. Just check the tread and air pressure. I have always been told change them at least 5-6 years but that is if they are used under normal circumstances.

Where is the truck kept as that plays a factor as well if they sit out in the elements it would effect them more if it is in a gargage it will effect them differently.

Hope this helps

Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the answers.

The truck is kept in the garage at all times. I'm thinking of waiting to buy the tires for now. There's no signs of tearing or anything of the sort, the tires look new. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement Question