Need help with Tires and Winterizing for AK

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with Tires and Winterizing for AK

Hi everyone,

I'm a Soldier that is currently stationed in South Korea and that will be stationed in AK in a few months. I've heard a lot of different opinions about what would be right for my '99 F150 SWB and no one really seems to be able to tell me. I'm trying to find the right tire/wheel combo for the weather up there and have no idea what size rims or tires I need to buy. I'm currently running 286/60-16 on 16x10 rims. Obviously, this will not work at all in the snow and ice of Fairbanks/AK. I also would like to know what steps I need to take to winterize my truck properly, i.e., water heater, thermostat, battery heater, tranny heater.
Do I need to get one of the plug in kit's installed?
If anyone could help me out in this issue, i really would appreciate it.
Also, can someone please tell me what I should do when I get my truck back from the 2 year storage, I know of the oil change, but is there anything else I should do?
Thanks for all your help and be safe.

Mike Volker

Last edited by Mikevolkerabc; 04-02-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
These people aren't much help are they? I'm heading there and would love some info myself.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor
As for tires, use the narrowest, tallest you can because they go through the snow better.

Use snow tires!!! I prefer Bridgestone Blizzak

Remember tires gain/lose air due to outside temperature changes and altitude.

Buy good wiper blades.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey Mike, you make it up here?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 AM
ive been in southeast ak for about 6 years now.... and i prefer a good mud terrain.... wider is usually worse, but i have run a 12.5" width with no problems. the pro comp mud terrains have very good factory siping in them.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
hey guys i am here in fairbanks and have been for a couple of years now. i am stationed at eielson AFB. as far as tires i am running 285/70/17 bfgoodrich all terrains all year round and as far as winterizing vehicles all i have is an oil pan heater tranny pan heater and a block heater. from what i have found that if you have a good battery that has a complete charge you dont need a pad or blanket because they can actually boil your battery. i am vehicle maint up here so we do quite a bit of winterizing. also i would look into a remote start. autoalarmpro.com has them pretty cheap and derrick is a great guy to work with. they are self installations but if you have any mechanical ability its easy because he sends step by step instructions. hope this helps out if you have anymore questions feel free to email me kpdraggin@yahoo.com or pm through the forum.

Quick Reply: Need help with Tires and Winterizing for AK