Parking Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Parking Brake help

I have 2001 F150 with the 5.4L engine. I've been noticing a grinding noise at slow speeds for a the last week or two.. (Truck is second vehical so it only gets driven on weekends). Also seemed to be excessive dust on the left front rim so I figured the pads were bad. (50K on the truck and nothing to serious). Yesterday I went to town with the truck to get new pads for the front.. On the way home something broke lose but I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from. Once I got home I went around the truck to find the hottest rim/tire. It was the right rear that seemed be the hottest.. I took the tire off and notice the EB cable was just sort of dangling there. I removed the caliper and took the rotor off and all the parts (or most of the them) fell out from behind the rotor. I'm not sure what happened but how difficult is going to be to get new parts for the EB and are there any "special" tool required to fix. I'm going to replace both sides to keep things even. Also where can I find these parts and approximate price..

Thanks in advance..
Greg

Old 11-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's no really special tools needed to replace the parking brake shoes...a good pair of needle nose visegrips and some four letter words are all you really need. I'm not sure whether you can get the hardware kit aftermarket, but I'm sure you can get the shoes from your local AutoadvancepepO'Reilly'sZone.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake help