Rear Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Problems

Sorry I am new here and jumping right in with a problem

My wife's 99 F150 is having problems with the rear drums. I replaced the shoes about two months ago. Now the rear brakes will lock up if braking too hard. It is worse when you first go but even after driving a litttle I cannot brake hard without them locking.

Is it a fluid issue? or could it be the rear abs?

where do I start?

pedel is not spongy and it feels ok

Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Take off the drum and look closely at the rear axle real. If gear oil has dripped down and got onto the brake shoe lining, as it get hot, it surfaces and causes the brakes to grab...or lock up.

If they are or have been leaking leaking, replace axle seals and outer axle bearings (most rear axle seals leaking are actually caused from excessive axle bearing play). Tolerances from DANA/Spicer are a little on the loose side even new. Then replace the rear brake linings(do not attempt to clean the shoes). Clean then turn the drums and you'll be set for another 60,000 miles.

I'd bet this is the problem.

The other option is you adjusted the brakes too tight causing the lock up under hard braking.

The ABS will not lock up the brakes, it actually lets the brake pressure off to prevent locking up by pulsing. If the ABS system is malfunctioning the light will come on and it will not work at all, converting to a traditional braking system.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 06-21-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I'll check the adjusters, don't see any fluid anywhere

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Problems