Extended rear brake lines after new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended rear brake lines after new wheels?

Anyone else run into this? Last week I installed some new chrome wheels and some 37" tires (had aluminum wheels and 35"s before, FYI), but the offset must be different on the new wheels, because almost immediately I started hearing a "rubbing" noise when the truck was moving, and upon closer inspect, the drivers side rear brake line is rubbing against the tire. It is pretty tight, I am able to "hook" it out of the way for a while on the leaf spring, but this is a temporary fix. Has anyone found an extended brake line for their rear? Skyjacker (who provides the 6" suspension lift I'm running) provides extended brake lines for the front, but not the rear, and I'm not sure what all would be involved with it.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think what you are describing is actualy the parking brake cable and not the brake line, if you went with a wider tire it will rub on the cable or if you changed your backspacing, i had the same thing happen to me whenn i went to 15.5" wide tires i zip tied it out of the way till i could fabricate a bracket to keep it out of the way and still allow my parking brake to work
here is a pic if you where looking straight down on it from the top of your wheel well is this what you are talking about?

Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
yeah that is what I am talking about... but I dont think theres even enough slack in mine to zip tie it out of the way... maybe... it's pretty dang tight.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Nice truck mattadams! Since you have the supercab, maybe a supercrew emergency brake cable would give you enough slack? They have a longer wheelbase don't they? Check the junkyards. Should be an easy find if it'll work.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Update! Just did a search and the wheelbase for the S'crew and the S'cab are both 139" with the 6.5' beds. But the extended wheelbase trucks with the 8 ft beds have a 157" wheelbase. You might try to find one of those at a junkyard and see if you can find what you need.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
best bet would be to relocate the brackets so it is out of the way like i did the zip tie was only a quick fix i will get a pic of the brackets latter

Quick Reply: Extended rear brake lines after new wheels?