Winter time - keep my mud tires on or back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter time - keep my mud tires on or back to stock?

Howdy all,
Well, it's that time where snow, sleet, and ice make for an interesting ride around town and I don't want to see my truck end up in a ditch (and not have me put it there on purpose ). Not to mention I just moved to Vermont from Florida and have never lived north of Georgia, so I don't know what to expect.

I've got an 04 FX4 with 33" ProComp MudTerrains on 17" ProComp rims on there now, and still have my factory 17" FX4 rims and almost new (less than 3K miles) OEM General Ameritrac tires in the garage. I've heard conflicting stories from the locals up here as to what's the best....some tell me the knobbiness of the mud tire makes it hard for ice, the width of the tire makes snow a bit harder to move in, and that the salt on the roads will kill my rims. Doing research here also shows that mud tires aren't the greatest...but what about compared to stock? I know the General's are crap in the rain...but have no clue about snow.

Given the two sets of tires I have, what do the folks here (who are more educated than the local tireshop yokel) think is my best choice?

I've traded in my shorts for long johns, my sandals for boots, and now I have to get my truck ready for snow rather than mud!

Old 12-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neither, Cooper Discoverer M&S. Very good winter tires that can be studded.

Quick Reply: Winter time - keep my mud tires on or back to stock?