How to replace the rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to replace the rear brakes

Team, I am looking to replace the rear brakes on my 1999 lighting as they looking a bit thin - rotors are ok. Not done this job before on the truck. Are there any pics or links on how to this and if I need any special tools?

is the parking brake easy to adjust etc..

And any recommendations on the replacement pads??

I am in the UK and resources in the UK are a bit limited so I need to make sure I do this all in one go so I plan well in advance

Any help will go a long way

Thanks in advance

Old 11-20-2004, 04:12 AM
if your just replacing pads all you do is remove the 2 10mm bolts from the rear calipers. and pull caliper off compress caliper remove and install new pads. you will notice the pads have a notch on top and an single tab on the bottom. insert the top first then slide the bottom in when putting the calipers back on.

the parking brake is inside the rotor it is like a drum brake setup and i think the only way to adjust it is to remove the rear rotor. most times this doesnt need adjustment. but sometimes the parking brake mechanisms will freeze up and need to be cleaned and lubed. it one of those either never use the parking brake or use it every time things.

so only tools you will need is a 10 mm wrench a clamp of some sort to compress caliper and maybe a flat head screw driver to help pry off the caliper. good luck.

Old 11-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks

Mr_Bentwrench,

Thanks, sounds straight forward will yet on the case with the supplier for some EBC pads etc.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How to replace the rear brakes